another use for ~ Your input is needed !!

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by gusbuster, Jun 15, 2001.

1. I don't know if this is the appropriate place to suggest or ask this question, but why not make a registrations service for equipment? What I mean is for example: I just bought a new BCS 720 tiller. I would like to register the serial number of this machine and other equipment I own. If I ever wanted to purchase or give a heads up on stolen equipment, I could check this database.

Our shop mechanic records serial numbers to keep track of who owns what equipment that is brought in for repairs. I know our local P.D.'s call him to verify ownership sometimes.

I don't know what would be involved, but I think and at least myself, would be willing to pay a small fee for this registration service. Could help defray the cost of running this site.
  2. 1MajorTom

1MajorTom Senior Moderator

Nice idea.

I moved it over here to the announcement forum where I thought it would be easier seen by the big guys over here. :)
  3. CSRA Landscaping

CSRA Landscaping LawnSite Bronze Member

I like the idea, simply because it's a nice, inexpensive sort of insurance against theft. Someone steals your stuff and tries to hock it, it's checked here and you got 'em!
  4. Administrator

Administrator Administrator

Hrm... good input!

What kind of fee do you think is fair? Per piece.. per account?

What kind of features do you want to see?

5. CSRA Landscaping

I would think that a fee per account would be good. I have no idea what something like that goes for, sorry. You'd probably want to provide space for the serial #, where it was purchased, what it is, the specs on it, etc. Also allow for it to be removed or transferred when it is sold/traded. My .02
  6. The serial number has come in handy for me a couple of years ago. I had one of my machines stolen. Lucky for me, the machine was broken. The person who stole the machine had taken it to the same shop where I buy and service my machines. Didn't see the repair tag on it, but checked the serial number. Gave me a call asking me what was wrong with my machine.

There are some drawbacks that I can see, but do see this as a great way to service all who participate on this site. You have to start somewhere right? Why didn't manufactures start this service?

As to potential fee's, maybe a yearly fee per person. The things that would need to be listed: contact info (email or landline number) type of machine, brand, and serial number. I think a fee of a low end of $10 to $20 per year. Just another thought, but something that may get Check into trouble, the amount paid for the piece of equipment.

7. Administrator

Administrator Administrator

OK, this is something I will do.

Give me more input...

So far we have:

Your own account that you control. You can update it with equipment and change ownership when equipment is sold.

Do you want your account to be able to keep track of service to equipment?

How many pieces of equipment do you want your account to hold? Im pretty sure Pierre is going to need a number on this.

Do you think this needs to be at a seperate site? Remember, I want it to be useable by everyone with powerequipment.. not just homeowners. A site kind of like Maybe, ? Remember, this will have to be advertised nationally to dealers, police stations, pawn shops, etc.

What kind of yerly fee per account? $10, $15, $20 ??

GIVE ME YOUR INPUT and Pierre will get started on this next week.

Also, let me know if this is something you would gladly use and pay a small fee.

Chuck Keough
  8. fdew

fdew LawnSite Member

I see one small problem. This could be a place for a thief to go shopping. Let's see, who has a nice -------- near me??

Perhaps SR# and make model should be lister but not the owner. The owner would be contacted directely by email or???

Just a thought, what do I know?

9. TheMom

TheMom LawnSite Member

You could make that part of the site password-controlled. Didn't we all have to provide a username/password on registration?

10. CSRA Landscaping

I think that Mom's got a good idea but I don't think it can be that simple. Something has to be done to make it so that equipment with a questionable origin can be cross-referenced.

I like John's idea of the $15 or so annual fee, that sounds about right.