Another use for Marlex elbows

Discussion in 'Irrigation' started by Wet_Boots, Jun 7, 2007.

1. Wet_Boots

Wet_Boots LawnSite Fanatic

Brass saddle tees and funny pipe elbows don't seem to get along. Brand-name or no, they often refuse to thread into the saddle tee. Corrosion? Intentionally-undersized saddle tee threads? (think about it) Some stray bits of dirt? A Marlex elbow gets around all that, and makes a compact swing joint, for a riser being replaced by a popup.

2. Dirty Water

Dirty Water LawnSite Fanatic

Boots, the original installer put that poly in way too deep.

Nicely done, I've done it a hundred times myself :)

Mainly on 1804 to 1812 retrofits. Whats with the Toro head though :)
  3. Wet_Boots

I tend to keep an all-Toro system the same way. Simplifies the installation of new nozzles, if I only have one brand to have at hand.
  4. Mike Leary

Mike Leary LawnSite Fanatic

I've used those brass saddles, they have a neat cork gasket & yes, Marlex
    works great with them. Out here the saddles are only available thru AG
    distributors...they beat those plastic Matell toys.
  5. Without A Drought

Without A Drought LawnSite Bronze Member

If i was repairing that head and came across the saddle, brass or plastic, i would replace it with a riser T. Those saddles tend to leak if you look at them funny. Not to say the install guys don't use them all the time.

I guess it's job security.

6. Hmmm......((filing this away for next install))

I like the way the marlex ell and the funny ell mate together like that.....very nice boots, thanks for the pics and the bids are going up 1 dollar per head to cover the marlex els....

Seriously...this old dog loves new tricks.
  7. Wet_Boots

Another benefit of this particular arrangement, is that the funny ell can be an off-brand, because the different (cheaper, duh) plastic they're made from won't have any problems threading into the marlex. Not that I recommend, or even purchase, off-brand funny ells, now that I know that they are almost invariably made from ABS plastic, which is plenty strong, but lacking the 'self-lubricating' quality of the acetal plastic used in brand-name funny ells.
  8. Purp thinks funny pipe is stupid but in the repair business I don't know how you avoid it sometimes. I'd rather see FP than those cobras any day.
  9. CAPT Stream Rotar

CAPT Stream Rotar LawnSite Fanatic

:cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:
  10. PurpHaze

PurpHaze LawnSite Fanatic

Never said that... just that they serve no purpose in our applications. Why should I put something in that I know, under our given applications, will only leak? :)

BTW... how do barbed/ha-ha's hold up when struck by a shovel? In my experience... not as well as quality Marlex and SCH 80 nipples. We remove them by cutting with one easy strike of our Kenyon Caprock Irrigation shovels. Then we can unthread the remains from the PVC and install our swing joints. :laugh: