Another Utilities Locate

Discussion in 'Irrigation' started by PurpHaze, Jul 12, 2007.

1. PurpHaze

PurpHaze LawnSite Fanatic

I was sent out to one of our sites to do a little R&D as to where mains and wire were located due to a large multi-use building going in sometime in the future. When I got there I discovered that a contractor was on site trenching to run new electrical conduit to the existing cafeteria building. Nobody from the district had gone out to mark utilities for them so they started trenching anyway. We fixed our stuff and now I get to CAD out the area since everything can be seen. :)

Highland Electric Trenching 7-11-07 IV-01.jpg

Highland Electric Trenching 7-11-07 IV-02.jpg

Highland Electric Trenching 7-11-07 IV-03.jpg

Highland Electric Trenching 7-11-07 IV-04.jpg

Highland Electric Trenching 7-11-07 IV-05.jpg
  2. PurpHaze

Oh... and our own fence guys didn't call for a locate on the same site. :)

Highland Bldg #7 Fencing 7-11-07 IV-01.jpg

Highland Bldg #7 Fencing 7-11-07 IV-02.jpg

Highland Bldg #7 Fencing 7-11-07 IV-03.jpg
  3. One of Murphy's Laws should be that fence posts always find the irrigation line.
  4. NC_Irrigator

NC_Irrigator LawnSite Bronze Member
    from NC

Is that a gas line i see?
  5. That is a beautiful trench.....sniff sniff.
  6. Dirty Water

Dirty Water LawnSite Fanatic

The yellow line is probably CATTV ducting.

The backhoe operator did an excellent job for no locates.
  7. Hayes,

I don't understand if you were just called to do a locate, the backhoe operator, once he hit that first pipe, WHY IN THE HECK he didn't stop and get somebody's butt down there?

Was that ever explained?

Oh I forgot, backhoe operators sit on there butts all day so I guess the blood flow doesn't go to the brain?
  8. PurpHaze

Yup... Maintenance got called and they didn't believe it to be gas. So they drilled a hole through it, and sure enough... they plugged it with a stick and ran to turn the meter off. :laugh:
  9. PurpHaze

Coated steel gas line.

I told him the same thing.
  10. PurpHaze

I was there to do R&D, not a locate. My R&D had only to do with tracing our wire/line under the concrete fire lane for possibility of moving it when the new building and fire lane is constructed. I just happened across this when I arrived as they were there to move the electrical feed out of the way of the new building. This is all preliminary moving and demo of known things.

When they uncovered the first line and the gas line (but didn't puncture them) they called Maintenance who never called us. Maintenance marked their stuff in the area AFTER the fact. :cry:

Actually, these guys are "combo" guys like us. They run the equipment AND do the dog work. :)