1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Another View, you won't like

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Bluegrass Lawn Service, Apr 4, 2003.

1. Bluegrass Lawn Service

Bluegrass Lawn Service LawnSite Member

Here is my view on low ballers and you probably won't like it! I've been in this business for 7 years. I'm 55 years old and run two mowing crews, one landscape crew of 2 and starting irrigation and outdoor lighting this year. So I've been around awhile. I have been reading your post and every once in a while I'll post or make a comment.
    A lot of the problem with the so call low-balling starts here. You guys are giving out all the trade secrets, telling everyone and anyone how to do, bid, repair, make flyers, give tips, on anything pertaining to this business. You tell what you charge, give pics of your lawns, equipment, everything you tell it all.
    This is a great site and we all get a good deal of information, but guys this is business, your business. It's not mine or the good buddy you have never seen in Ohio or Indiana.
    Do you think Kentucky Fried Chicken ever gave out that secret recipe for chicken? Did Wal-Mart tell everyone how to be the largest retailer in the world. Not on your life.
    Is our business so low down that we want to give important information to millions on the web.
    Most of you guys are young, under 25, wanting to grow your business and if you tell on this site that you will mow a 6,000 sq ft. lawn for $35.00. Then that tells me and millions other that I can do it for $25.00 and probably get a lot of them.
    I'm sorry if you don't see it this way.
  2. FrankenScagMachines

FrankenScagMachines LawnSite Platinum Member
    from IN

You're right but only to an extent. I have figured out that our local prices are lower than on LS anyway. I also figured out that I will be keeping some of my important secrets, a secret. I'll tell some things but they are not the kind of things that will make or break me. Yea I'm 15 and still "wet behind the ears" maybe but I have a few things I haven't told no body about! Oh but it is hard to keep a secret. I do agree with you but as they say, the damage is already been done. Also on the flip side LS can and has worked to raise prices in some cases. when i first got on I would have priced a $25 lawn at $15 because I didn't know any better, no one told me. Now I know what it's worth and charge just as much as anyone for it. I ain't no scrub either, I'm licensed, insured ($1 million liability) and have the right equipment for the job, price as high as I can (and still get the job, within reason), do the best work I have seen around (not kidding), don't hire anyone right now so quality is right up there with no careless worker tearing up the yard. Yes I do not have a license yet but I still do not think I am a scrub. Even when I had homeowner equipment I did very professional work and I doubt you could have done much if any better with commercial equipment. I always make the best with what I have.

BTW, where at in So. IN are you? Do you know where Columbus IN is at?
  3. cos

cos LawnSite Addict

I don't see it that way. If everyone had their prices within the same range, then we wouldn't have someone that preforms shotty work in a neighborhood that they don't belong.

I have no idea how many people from my area use forums, nor do I care, but this is one tool that gets used frequently.
  4. GroundKprs

GroundKprs LawnSite Bronze Member

Life should be so simple, LOL. Lowballers exist in every trade, even licensed supposedly professional trades. Many landscapers know how to plant a shrub or tree, but digging that planting hole 2x to 3x the size of the ball is a lot of work. And many know how to mulch properly, but it's cheaper to just throw on an inch of mulch. Mr Lowball's landscape looks the same as one done professionally when it's finished, and it's only 60% of the cost - what a deal. But that great deal starts to fall apart in a month, after the bill is paid, LOL.

One of my clients got a flyer last week proposing a $30 mowing, on a property I get more than twice that amount. He laughed and handed it to me - he knows he'd be getting much less than half the care of his lawn. And he wants the best possible care.

If someone wants to lowball, he usually does without coming to LawnSite. That said, I never quote price figures here because the pricing of our work is so variable across the country. If someone bases his pricing on what he gets from this board, he could be dramatically over- or under-priced.
  5. Casey

Casey LawnSite Member

So do you think that if we didn't share prices here, that would stop some of the people that advertise 10% less than your current LCO.
  6. Bluegrass Lawn Service

Yes I know where Columbus is. I'm about 50 minutes south of there. I truly hope you make a lot of money in this business and there is a lot to be made. We are in the number one cash crop in Indiana. The green industry has been growing fast for several years. I to keep my prices up, even higher than most in my area. I tell a good many new prospects that I will probably be higher than their last service. Sometime I get it and sometimes I don't.
    You take a look at most of the post and see the questions that are being asked and see if you don't think we are giving away too much information. No it's not too late
  7. FrankenScagMachines

FrankenScagMachines LawnSite Platinum Member
    from IN

So what town you in? Down in the Brownstown area?
  8. Bluegrass Lawn Service

Yes I do. I wouldn't think of giving out prices to my competitors in this area. Or most any other information. Now I'll speak to them, even talk with them but I get all I can and give very little.

Take your neighborhood grocery, he'll go to Wal-mart, Kroger, and the local Piggly Wiggly to find out there prices, then he goes to his store and starts marking down a few cents to gain more business.
  9. Bluegrass Lawn Service

Here is something else you probably won't like either. Just a few post down the list is a post that says " everybody is low balling "
    it has 77 replys and 2582 views. I would almost bet some no smoke two cycle oil that the remaining 2505 are low-ballers or they would have replyed to the topic. What do you think?
  10. I always believe that you should learn more everday. This site is one way to learn and help others here.There are lowballers in every industry. In a funny short of way this industry has taken a step up and things are changing all the time.We who are involved now should be thankful we are already in this industry. Because in a few years it wont be as easy to start in to. State and city laws and prices and insurance issues are just some things that will make it harder to get in to.Plus with forums like this we are learning and teaching each other faster & better ways of improving our business and quality of work at the same time.We have raised the industry standards in so many ways the last few years. We all make choices but what you learn from those choices
    will predict the path you choose