Another view...

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by GrassMasterNC, Jan 27, 2005.

1. GrassMasterNC

GrassMasterNC LawnSite Member

I've read a few of the latest threads regarding taking on jobs for clients that other LCO's had first. I didn't,however, see anything about the legaility of the other LCO. Rather than post 20 pages down the thread, I thought I'd start this one with a different view.

You are a legitimate LCO. License, Insurance, CPA, Legal, The whole deal - all of your ducks are in a row. You pay your dues and have the RIGHT to be doing this business.

You know there are a few illegal outfits doing jobs in this same neighborhood, who are obviously lowballing and underbidding you constantly - you've even asked them if they were at least licensed and they say "No". You figured they can have the PITA clients anyways, no big deal. Not worth the effort to report them if they are doing all of the crap jobs anyways.

A customer who has one of these (non-compliant) outfits routinely service his lawn approaches you and says he's impressed with your work and wanted to know what you charge. You tell him your rate after looking accross the street at his property and also mention that you are fully licensed and insured - no need to rat out the other guy, this impresses him enough.

He says "Done, can you start my lawn next week?"...Even though you are $10.00 more" (they charged $30, I said $40)

Now taking into consideration that your competition isn't even working legally, do you have any moral conflict with this?

I personally do not. I pay my dues and feel I have the right to take on a job that an illegal outfit has been servicing previously. If they were legit, obviously this wouldn't be an issue.

Just wanted to get your take on it. It's a new year, and I am thinking of soliciting from the good properties that I know these guys are servicing - at least the ones that aren't PITA's.

Alright, unleash-

2. bobbygedd

bobbygedd LawnSite Fanatic
    from NJ

united we stand, divided we fall
  3. Green-Pro

Green-Pro LawnSite Bronze Member

Speaking as someone who is going through all the red tape to set up a legitimate business I would have no problem taking on a customer that asked for my services over their current provider.

I view what I'm undertaking as a business, and as such treat/respect it that way. Its not comparing apples to apples when you look at legitimate full time vs. non-legitimate full time. IMO and for those that are "full time" and operating outside of the law/regulations, well they should not expect to be treated the same in regards to matters of business.

my.02 payup

4. aries

aries LawnSite Senior Member
    from nj

I feel everybody has a right to make a living but not at my expense if these guy's taking food off my table then it is war why should we have to bust our ass and pay taxes, insurance Workman's comp ect and these guy's only have to worry about their fuel I don't think so I would take every chance I could to get all the work they have until they are legit! of coarse I applaud you for doing that!
  5. Lux Lawn

Lux Lawn LawnSite Silver Member

If a potential customer approaches me while we are out working or course I am going to take the job if it is offered and I have the time to add on more customers.There are some reasons that I would not take them on and they are if they were being serviced by somebody that I know,if I have noticed they have been through several company's over the years or after talking to them they seem like they may be a PITA or the yard maybe a mess with toys or something along those lines.
  6. bobbygedd

bobbygedd LawnSite Fanatic
    from NJ

first of all you'll never make a difference alone. if you try, i fear bad things may happen to you. secondly, if you are going to go this route, you'd better not have ANY glass windows. don't tell me you're carrying insurence, and paying taxes, but are applying pesticides without a permit. don't tell me you are legit in the above areas, but breaking zoning laws. don't tell me you are legit but pocket $75 a week in cash . LEGIT, MEANS LEGIT, not conveniently legit. once you are all square, then u need to get others with the same credentials in your area to pitch in. THEN, you will make a difference. until then, you've made your bed (not you, just lawnboys in general) now sleep in it!
  7. chevyman1

chevyman1 LawnSite Senior Member

steal the account you are a businessman and salesman first. You don't start a company for fun, you do it to win and make money
  8. jbell113

jbell113 LawnSite Senior Member

Everyone of my clients approached me or called and told me they were not happy with there current lco. This is no big deal , now if a guy was mowing a prop and i waited till he left and approached the owner ...thats a different story
  9. brinlee lawn

brinlee lawn LawnSite Senior Member

If I am approched by someone about doing there work there is no question I would be all over it, apparently they are not happy with there current lco why should they pay for something they are not satisfied with.