1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Another w/b question: fixed or floating...

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by stryper, Jun 23, 2005.

1. stryper

stryper LawnSite Member
    from IL

...which puts down a better stripe? (Without a kit, that is.) I was always under the impression that a floating deck would perform better, as it more closely follows the contours of the ground. My Scag dealer now says a fixed deck actually does a better job, as it leaves a smoother, more even cut.

So, for those of you who have had both, which is it?
  2. MTR

MTR LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Florida

They both cut great, but floater makes life easier when changing blades and of course, changing cutting height. If you don't change height when cutting every lawn, fixed deck is okay, otherwise go floater, lots more fun and kit to play with like striping roller, anti scalpwheel and such. Life is so much easier with floater.
  3. grass_cuttin_fool

grass_cuttin_fool LawnSite Gold Member

I have both and both stripe nice(toro proline is a floater and a scag is the fixed deck) Deck height is alot more easier to change on a floating deck. And you really need a good level yard for a fixed deck or you will end up with alot of scalping. I mainly cut in the country where grass was sown on the ground as it laid with no leveling or smoothing, the fixed deck isnt very good for me but works good in the towns where the yards were better prepared
  4. g5cutsgrass

g5cutsgrass LawnSite Member

My fixed deck Great Dane wb stripes great. The key to "stripeage" is cutting the grass tall enough for it to bend over and having the proper deck or other device to bend it as you go. With the weight of a commercial deck it's my opinion that it would take pretty firm ground to make it "float". We have to be careful with humps and valleys so that we don't scalp, but the fixed deck has worked well for us.