1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Another way of loading grass clippings from Walker

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by ksland, Oct 2, 2002.

1. ksland

ksland LawnSite Senior Member

Check out this idea I have been working on... I had a front ramp welded to my trailer which connects the trailer to my dumper. The ramp is just a bit steep, will go up but Kind of scary. So after some deep thought in deciding how to make this ok situation practical I have come up with this... Now at first it sounds a little strange but hear me out... I have a rolling tarp with bearings at each end on the front of my dumper. What I do is unroll the tarp (which is easy once I drop the front gate, just walk right up) and pull it down to the first 4 or so feet of the trailer. Similar to the load handler concept. I can then make 4 dumps from the walker on the trailer which I have no lawns I collect more than that. Load up and before I take off I roll the tarp in. It pulls the grass up the gate and packs it to the front of the body. I then unroll on the next job and pull in the next load right over what is there. It packs the grass clippings in tight! I am telling you much better than just dumping in the truck. I am pretty sure I can do 20 hoppers full in one load easily. Sure the tarp will wear out after a while but the one that came with my truck is super heavy duty. And also I am thinking when I put a big leaf box on just mount the tarp roller up high in the box and I should be able to fill that box right up. I know it sounds crazy but I works awesome. I see no downfalls of doing it this way. And once I roll up my last load I can still use the tarp to cover the load no different.
  2. captdevo

captdevo LawnSite Senior Member

sounds like a good idea!!! post some pictures if possible!!

kinda like a built in load handler, but reversed...
  3. dukester

dukester LawnSite Member

I'd like to see some pictures also. The only drawback with the Walker is getting rid of the grass. How are you pulling the tarp up to the front? I mean with enough force to compact the grass. Thanks for the post.
  4. walker-talker

walker-talker LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Midwest

I have been slowing thinking of ideas on this subject. I saw in the last TURF magazine a product from the website usaramp.com (I think this what it's called). I have not been there to check it out, but it's a portable ramp that goes from the trailer to the truck. Sounds like your idea is working for you. I would like to see some pics also.

5. CMerLand

CMerLand LawnSite Senior Member

Anyone of us walker users out here use the dump lift option that sells for like 3 grand???

Got some info on it and its supposed to cycle up and back in less then 20 seconds and reach over the sides of at least a mason dump.

Now I know three grand sounds like alot of dough, but getting the grass into the truck off the tarp is by far the worse part of using a walker. And knowing how many times Ive dumped in the five years Ive owned this one it deffinately would have been worth the expense in terms of labor savings.

Anyone on here use this and want to share their experiences??
  6. Brickman

Brickman LawnSite Bronze Member

I had seen pics of it, and always wanted one. If nothing else to save your back, I know yall know what I mean. :( Walker doesn't like the idea, they claim the frame isn't built for it. Dunno