Another Weed ID Thread

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by speedster, Jun 23, 2014.

1. speedster

speedster LawnSite Member

Been dealing with this for a couple of years now. At first I thought it might be quack grass but a friend of mine called it poverty grass (downy danthonia). It doesn't show up on the pictures very well but it's very hairy, wider blade, and grows about twice as fast as the TTF that it is occurring in. I can't seem to kill it with traditional 4D and each year the footprint of the outbreak is getting larger.

Aside from pounding it with glyphosate and reseeding is there any way to treat this?

IMAG0075_small.jpg

IMAG0076_small.jpg

2. RussellB

RussellB LawnSite Fanatic

Not sure what kind of weed that is but if you click on "resources" top right portion of home page then click on helpful tools you will see a great weed ID section. Good luck

3. dishman89

dishman89 LawnSite Member

Not very good pics but from what i can tell is orchard grass
    Posted via Mobile Device

4. georgialawn88

georgialawn88 LawnSite Bronze Member

not very good pic. does it grow up and have seed heads off of it? if so maybe dallis?

5. speedster

Not sure because I have never let it grow long enough to see. Maybe I'll let a small patch of it grow so that I can see if it does.

I also tried the weed identification feature mentioned above but I do not know the terminology well enough to answer the questions more appropriately. I wish they included sample pictures with the terms.

6. RussellB

RussellB LawnSite Fanatic

I agree. I tried looking a weed up yesterday and couldn't find it.

7. RAlmaroad

RAlmaroad LawnSite Silver Member
    from SC

Can't tell very well from photos. Just get up close and shoot a closeup. However, this surely resembles Dallis grass. Get some better photos with light behind you and put them up.

8. speedster

Sorry for the poor pics. I can't seem to get a good one. I took a few more pics and one of them shows the seed head.

IMAG0096_1.jpg

IMAG0108.jpg

9. ron mexico75

ron mexico75 LawnSite Bronze Member

I dealt with this same thing last year. Appears to be Dallisgrass. Here is a pic of the seed head from a site that identified it as Dallisgrass. Here is some more identifying characteristics.

http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/showimage/83543/

Attached Files:

10. speedster

You may be right but the statement, "Hair near the collar only doesn't really fit this weed. It doesn't show well in the photos but the entire weed is hairy.

How did you end up treating the dallis grass?