Another weird one

Discussion in 'Irrigation' started by DanaMac, Jun 12, 2011.

1. DanaMac

DanaMac LawnSite Fanatic

Won't turn on. Open circuit.

2. DanaMac

DanaMac LawnSite Fanatic

Closes just fine.

That's my preference as well, but if it won't take care of the problem, that is another unnecessary expense. I know it will help with efficiency of the system, but so would redesigning the whole thing. They have had it at 140 psi for 20-30 years.

3. WalkGood

WalkGood LawnSite Bronze Member

Don't know which to try first.... completely different valve (not just the upper half), different brand.

Or as you mention, too much loss of water volume to get all ten heads fully raised w/o manually lifting. Flow may be lost or restricted somewhere but there is plenty of pressure once they all are raised. How old are the heads?

Might be a rock or other debris that gets jammed upon instant full throttle, blocking flow. But with slower start-up flow the object doesn't restrict the volume?

Temporarily remove the heads from the equation, either with plugs or cut the line but remove the wiper seals from the situation. Check the initial / instant flow at various points.

4. hunterpreferred

hunterpreferred LawnSite Member

Try bypassing the valve , then turn the water on. If all the heads pop up like they should, then the problem is in the valve.Seems like too much pressure for the valve to fully open. I get a similar problem when winterizing if we come across old Toro flo pros, hate those valves.
    I rip them out and install Hunter PGV's, problem solved.

5. mitchgo

mitchgo LawnSite Silver Member

I know it shouldn't matter.. But some of the DVF body cases are SLIGHTLY different. So gut swapping my not be working properly

I would replace the entire valve

In any case get a prv in there on the whole system. At 140 your supposed to have 2 prv in series

6. Sprinkus

Sprinkus LawnSite Silver Member

Didn't someone have a turtle shell in their main? The shell would sometimes lay flat and everything would work ok, other times it would turn on its side and block the flow.

7. Wet_Boots

Wet_Boots LawnSite Fanatic

another tout for the DV......

8. mitchgo

mitchgo LawnSite Silver Member

I don't know why they have soo many different models.

9. Mike Leary

Mike Leary LawnSite Fanatic

I carried parts for the DVF and the PEB only. The folks that had other RBs could go back to Home Depot and buy another valve.

10. Wet_Boots

Wet_Boots LawnSite Fanatic

Did they use different bodies for the DVF valves? Why? ;)