Another What would you do. On dead beat.

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by sildoc, Apr 9, 2005.

1. sildoc

sildoc LawnSite Silver Member

OK. Used Olddebts.com. Did what I needed it to do and that was get a dead beat off of his arsss. Got a call yesterday, asking if we can work it out. He wanted me to come over to his house and discuss the problem. I did not fee that was a good Idea so I said I would meet him in a public place. We meet and he offers me 200 to settle. He owes 300 and some change.
    My first response was all or nothing! Period.
    So He says well you can take me to court and win, however I only have social security and wont be able to pay. Also I will be going in for surgery next week to remove something. He is old and has cancer, and I know there is not much time left for him(not feeling sorry for him at all but giving you all the details)
    My question is do you take the 200 call it good and go on your way?
    Or do you go to court?

2. MMLawn

MMLawn LawnSite Gold Member

If he is telling the truth then even if you go to court you will only get a Judgement is all and you will have spent the money up front to file. So for me it is a no brainer as $200 in your right hand is better than $-85 (or whatever the filing fee is where you are) and an uncollectable Judgement in your left.

3. grassmanvt

grassmanvt LawnSite Senior Member

Take it and run, I have had some that I would have been overjoyed to collect two-thirds from. Also can't help but feel bad for his situation and at least he is trying to settle with you instead of saying tuff-luck or ducking calls,etc. Just my opinion but grab that offer while it's still on the table.

4. Tn Lawn Man

Tn Lawn Man LawnSite Senior Member

I agree.

If you don't take the $200 you will likely not see a cent of it.

Just curious, was this a mow only debt or was there other services as well? If it was a mow only debt then how did it get that big? Thanks for the reply. I am trying to hone my billing procedures.

5. promower

promower LawnSite Bronze Member

Take the 200 and bill his estate when hes gone.

6. bobbygedd

bobbygedd LawnSite Fanatic
    from NJ

he told you a lie. he will be going in for TWO SURGERIES. the second one, to get the shovel removed from his azz. if in fact he will be dying soon, why does he care to settle with you? if he truly wants to "make it right", he can arrange for his exsecutor to pay you in full.

7. sildoc

No Full service account. I bill in 12 = payments. So he stiffed me for November and 1/2 of december before I told him to take a hike and give me my money. That is only 3 mows and a few shrubs trimmed. However I wasn't getting all of what I had comming durring the busy months. That way I still receive the same money year round.

8. sildoc

Tommarrow I will tell you what I did and what happened. I am just wanting to see what every one else would do.... Maybe I can learn from what you would do and maybe you can get Ideas from what I did.

9. sildoc

Not sure???? Maybe the insight that the end is near and he is trying to make it right with the maker???? Not sure what is going through his head.

10. sildoc

Took the money. Told him I will wait 1 month to drop olddebts.com unless he pays in full before that time. I told him I didn't think it was fair that he was stealing out of my pocket and I think a credit ding was waranted.
    He paid in check so we will see if it bounces. If it does I will have his ARRSss.
    I usually am not a hard arrs like this however I feel that he has done this with his other services also.