Another which mower to buy question

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by knuckles, Apr 3, 2005.

Which mower package for smaller accts

1. 36 belt & 21 inch trim

5 vote(s)
  2. 32 single hydro & 21 inch

5 vote(s)
  3. quick 36 single hydro and 21 inch

5 vote(s)
  4. 21 inch only, upgrade as needed

1 vote(s)
  1. knuckles

knuckles LawnSite Member

I am ready to buy my first mower(s). I have 20 accounts thus far.All residential. 75 % of them are 5000 sq ft or under (condos and townhomes) and none are bigger than 10,000. I have a budget of $3000 for a walk behind and am considering the 21 in commercial Lawnboy as my trim mower ( 2 stroke model local dealer has 2 left at $699.00.) So I've narrowed it down to either a 36in belt drive and 21 in trim, A 32 in single hydro(snapper or ferris) and 21 in trim or the quick 36 single hydro and trim....or suck it up this season upgrade to honda hrc or toro and get a larger hydro as new accounts are obtained. Thanks for your help, you guys must get tired of answering this question.
  2. capitallandscapes

capitallandscapes LawnSite Member

I rarely use a 21in mower. Only on small grass islands, courtyards, or uneven terrain.
  3. Tider6972

Tider6972 LawnSite Senior Member
    from Alabama

Do you have gates too small for a 36" ? If so, Snapper Pro 32, if not the Quick. The Snapper controls are far better than the Ferris' .

You may want to look at the Gravely ProG 32 for about $2000 !

Do you like the staggered wheels of the LBoy? It has some weaknesses, such as wheels and cables. A Toro Super Recycler for less $$ may be a better choice, cast aluminum deck, discharges, mulches and bags,and it has a 5 year homeowner warranty. I chose it over the Proline for the discharge feature. And I'm not bothered by the Briggs engine at all. If the wheels wear out on it, replace them with Proline steel wheels, but they are unlikely to be a problem for a couple years 'or More' even with heavy use.