1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Another "Z" hits the market!

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by gorrell, Mar 19, 2001.

1. gorrell

gorrell LawnSite Senior Member

I just got my latest Turf Magazine today and lo and behold another new Z has arrived at the marketplace. Land Pride(division of Great Plains Industries)has just introduced a 52" and 60" Kawasaki powered(presumabably the 23hp) that looks suspiciously like the Hustler. This is such a coincidence since the parent companies are both located in Kansas. If it isn't the Hustler I'll be incredibly surprised. Land Pride has traditionally been quality equipment so I'm sure this unit will also be. Everyone jump on the "Z" bandwagon before it's too late. Lynn
  2. turfquip

turfquip LawnSite Senior Member

Lynn, Did you overlook the Bush Hog Z? LOL
  3. mdb landscaping

mdb landscaping LawnSite Silver Member

i saw that new machine. i think it looks exactly like the hustler too.
  4. Vibe Ray

Vibe Ray LawnSite Senior Member

I saw this, it said that the parking brake automatically engaged when you spread the control levers apart. That could be good and bad.....interesting idea though! Would you guys like that?
  5. edward hedrick

edward hedrick LawnSite Senior Member

looked at the web site no accessories.chose your color.
    Thought excel was a good package with bagger.
  6. DeepDivot

DeepDivot LawnSite Member
    from Kansas

Saw a Land Pride at a recent show. I mentioned to the dealer that it looked suspiciously like an Excel Hustler and the dealer said that Excel is building it for them. Supposedly, there's at least one other company that will market the Excel mower, but I didn't find out their name.
  7. Randy Scott

Randy Scott LawnSite Bronze Member

All these new lawnmower manufacturers coming out with new mowers and building them for other companies with new names. It reminds me of years ago when everyone built snowmobiles and/or motorcycles and there were 30 brands of them. Eventually the cream rose to the top and the junk got weeded out. Now there are limited numbers of companies only building excellent products. I think the same is going to happen in this industry. Be careful what you buy, they might not be there when you need them a few years from now! :)
  8. turfguy33

turfguy33 LawnSite Member

If I'm not mistaken, and I have been known to be wrong before, but isn't LandPride owned by John Deere. That's what I heard anyways....Not Sure.......I do know that JD bought Great Dane. And Husquvarna bought out Kees and I believe Blue Bird.......
  9. mowerconsultant

mowerconsultant LawnSite Fanatic
    Male, from Syracuse, NY

The landpride unit is built by Excel/Hustler.
    The only difference is the paint, name, and muffler cover.
    This is something that we at Hustler do not hide, nor does landpride.
    We are building the 60" and the 52" units for them.
  10. dan35

dan35 LawnSite Member

What bothers me is the number of Z’s hitting the market. Let’s face it these mowers in the hand’s of a few thousand scrubs can HURT The market!!! When I started in this business the average scurb had a rear engine snapper 33” and could only cut two yards a day. But with a new Z how many yards will he steal before he goes under?