1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community on the Franchising Forum.

Dismiss Notice

anoyone running a small WB in place of push mower

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by MowingIL, Feb 4, 2013.

1. MowingIL

MowingIL LawnSite Member

as the title says, wondering who else doesn't run a 21'' push mower and runs a 32 34 or 36 in its place. thanks.

2. ddixon7

ddixon7 LawnSite Senior Member

I have only ran my push mowers on one lawn in the last 17 years. Their back yard is very small and they have this garden gate that you have to go through that is only 25" wide. The only reason I mess with it is because the rest of the yard is huge and it is a nice account. So throwing a push mower in the back of the truck that day for that yard is worth it.

Other than that, no push mower here. We use the 36" on all the rest of the backyards with a small gate. Saves you A LOT of time using a hydro 36" over a push mower. Probably 3 to 4 times faster in most instances.

Last edited: Feb 4, 2013
  3. MowingIL

MowingIL LawnSite Member

4. pseudosun

pseudosun LawnSite Bronze Member

I've been wanting a sarlo 30" for a while. I bought a very old 24" sarlo and i love it. I don't consider a 36" a small walk behind; that's my main mower:)

5. dstifel

dstifel LawnSite Senior Member

36" is the biggest I use on 90% of my yards. But I only use the 21 on one yard with a garden like stated above.

6. kyles landscape

kyles landscape LawnSite Senior Member

i use a 33 for the yards my 36 doesnt fit in but prob would have the 33 if it wasnt my first mower....just kept it around and about twice a week sees some work

7. MowingIL

MowingIL LawnSite Member

is that your largest machine?

8. LandFakers

LandFakers LawnSite Fanatic
    from CT

I use a 36 1 day a week, for 4 lawns, I would never use a 21 as most are gated with a good amount of yard to cut. I have one the it would be better to use a 21, but I just bag it with the 36

9. grandview (2006)

grandview (2006) LawnSite Gold Member

I have a 36 that I use on 1 lawn,as soon as they quit/die I'm selling it. Trying not to take anything I can't use my 48 on.

10. dstifel

dstifel LawnSite Senior Member

I have a 72" diesel but I use it to mow empty lots I get through a real estate company only.