Answer To Question

Discussion in 'Hustler Turf Equip (Archived)' started by puppypaws, Nov 10, 2004.

1. puppypaws

puppypaws LawnSite Fanatic

Pj

I Drove My Hustler Super Z With The 27 Hp Kohler Engine About 1200 Feet A Few Days Ago And Did Not Engage The Clutch. I Tuned Around And Pulled Into My Carport About Half Way And In The Blink Of An Eye The Engine Completely Locked Down, Blue Smoke Came Out From Around The Engine And That Was It. The Mower Is Still In Warranty And Chad Whitley Is A Close Friend Of Mine With Whitley Lawn And Garden So He Came And Picked The Mower Up The Next Day, Their Service Is The Best In The Business Bar None. I Called Him The Next Day Just Knowing My Motor Was Blown And He Told Me The Clutch Had Completely Locked Up. I Understand Hustler Has Changed The Idler Pulleys And The Clutch On The Super Z. Would You Please Explain To Your Readers What Had Happen To Cause These Changes.

Thanks Reid

2. puppypaws

How about someone answering the question I had about the clutch lock down and idler pulley problems. The readers need to know as well as I do what would cause these problems. Thanks Reid

3. mowerconsultant

mowerconsultant LawnSite Fanatic
    Male, from Syracuse, NY

Sorry for the delay in getting this posted..
    I am not aware of a recent clutch change, we did (well over a year ago) change mfg's on our clutches, this was due in large part to the increased HP we are starting to use, and it also is a higher rated (torque) clutch.
    The current clutch is a Warner and we have been using it since April of 2003.
    As to changes in idler pulleys, we have had reports of bearing failures in the deck idlers, we have since changed to a new double roller bearing in these idlers.

Pj

4. puppypaws

PJ

My mower is only a little over a year old and I have 394 hrs. on it. What you are telling me is I already had the heavier Warner clutch, has there been any other changes on the clutch since they were installed in the Super Z in 2003?
    I'm just trying to figure out what would have caused this problem if I have the best clutch system Hustler is installing in their Super Z at this point in time.

Thanks Reid

5. theservicingdealer

theservicingdealer LawnSite Member

I dont believe that your clutch failed but the bearing in the clutch failed. I believe that the manufacture of the clutch could have received a few bad bearings.Or tried a different supplier of bearings. Alot of this is beyond hustlers control. Sometimes manufactures just don't tell there buyers that they change there supplier. It just a big food chain.
    Remember that most commercial units use all the same brand of clutch with some minor changes-like pulley size or length. You could of had the same problem with a different color unit. Most of the time when you have a bad clutch it doesn't last long. I put a brand new clutch on a Bobcat 2 months ago and it failed 2 hours later. Talk about mad people.
    Hustler is always looking to make the best product possible!!

6. puppypaws

theservicingdealer

Since they brought the mower back from replacing the clutch and idler pulleys it has blown the 10 amp fuse twice when I try to start the mower. I think the mower has been started 6 or 8 times since they brought it back and it has blown the fuse twice. Have you got any ideas what may be causing this problem other than the starter grounding out or the switch, it has never done this before it went to the shop.

Thanks Reid

7. mowerconsultant

Male, from Syracuse, NY

Yes, your mower already has the Warner clutch.

8. mowerconsultant

Male, from Syracuse, NY

I am sure you have already talked to Chad, but in case you have not, give him a call, i am sure there is something simple here, since it was just serviced.

Pj

9. theservicingdealer

theservicingdealer LawnSite Member

CHeck the wire routing from the clutch. Something was change when the clutch was changed. The wiring should have been protected by the fuse when the orginal clutch failed. So I would dought it is a harness issue. I would be more inclined to think the clutch routing is the issue.This is my first gut insticts-but I may be wrong.

10. puppypaws

Thanks for the help from both of you. Chad is going to pick the mower up tomorrow he has the same idea as theservicingdealer about the wiring problem from the clutch being replaced

Thanks again Reid