1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Answering Machine question

Discussion in 'Business Operations' started by JohnsonLawn, Aug 1, 2006.

1. JohnsonLawn

JohnsonLawn LawnSite Senior Member

I was wondering if you guys ask the caller about the services they are interested in as a part of your outgoing message on your answering machine. If so, how do you word your outgoing message to include this question. I was thinking of doing this to better prepare myself for the callback. I would like to have a idea as to what they are looking for before I call them back. Thanks guys
  2. ALarsh

ALarsh LawnSite Silver Member
    from Midwest

99% of customers will tell you anyways. My message says to leave your name and number and I will call back ASAP. Everybody that has left a message has told me what service they want and the details.
  3. JohnsonLawn

JohnsonLawn LawnSite Senior Member

Not me, I get alot of people who don't even leave a name, just "call me back @ xxx-xxx-xxxx and I will talk to you then. I don't think it is unreasonable for me to want to know what their interested in. I want to be able to call them back and say "so I understand that you are interested in having a patio installed, how can we help you?". I just think it sounds more professional. Thanks for the input.
  4. BSME

BSME LawnSite Senior Member
    from Midwest

I dont really believe what you put in your message will help all that much with what people say...

I've tried a couple different messages ... I think people just daydream until they hear the beep
  5. FLAhaulboy

FLAhaulboy LawnSite Senior Member

my viocemail message is like 30 sec long. I'm in the hauling business. i tell them what i haul, what areas i work in, etc. only my brother has complained it was to long! i've found out that the more info i give in my message, helps to weed out those customers i dont want or arent in my work area. I do NOT response to text messages either. I screen all my calls and let it go into viocemail instead. i return all calls as soon as possible also