1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

answering phones, revisited

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by NateinAtl, Feb 14, 2000.

1. NateinAtl

NateinAtl LawnSite Member
    from Atlanta

Now that today is Valentines Day, I am turning off all phones at 5:00. It made me wonder what time is too late for you to answer phnes? In the summer I receive/return calls from customers up to 8:30. The reason is because longer daylight translates into me being in the field longer. When do you guys say enough is enough? I ask this because I had a customer call me at 9:15 on a Sunday night. I answered the call but it frustrated me. <p>I'm just curious what your office hours are. Just to see if you guys are doing as I do.<p>Thanks in advance.
  2. Charles

Charles Moderator Staff Member

I answer phones from 7am to 9pm 7 days a week. Usually take off the major holidays and voice mail them. And return the calls the following day. But when I answer can change if I get behind in work due to the weather. Or I have a very full schedule. Or I just don't feel like being bothered. I try not to let the phone become like a albratos and control my life.
  3. paul

paul Lawnsite Addict

Office hrs. winter 9am - 5pm no Saturday or Sunday<br>spring - fall 7:30am - 5:30pm<br>Saturday 7:30am - 12:30pm<br>NO Sundays<p><br><p>----------<br>paul<br>
  4. JimLewis

JimLewis LawnSite Fanatic

I'm like Charles, I typically answer 7:00 am to 9:00 pm. I don't always answer on Sunday. I don't work Sundays and don't really think I should have to deal with business much that day. But the other days I try to answer it as much as possible during normal hours. <p>Again, this is a personal choice and it depends on your level of ambition. You gotta decide whether you want to grow really fast or not. And you gotta realize that if you don't answer the phone at certain times, you will lose a few new customers. That's just a fact. If you are happy with losing a few, then maybe you want to set strict 9-5 office hours. But if you want to grow quickly and not miss any opportunities, you'll answer your phone. <p>Please understand too that this all depends on how long you've been in business too. If you are well established, make all the money you want, and can afford to lose a few customers so that you may enjoy more free time, that's cool. You've earned it. But if you are still new and ambitious, you don't always have that luxury for a few years. Just remember that if you decide to answer the phone later for now, it's all temporary. One day you won't have to. <p>----------<br>Jim Lewis - Lewis Landscape Services<br>http://www.lewislandscape.com