Answering the phone....what to say?

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by Slcareco, Nov 13, 2009.

1. Slcareco

Slcareco LawnSite Senior Member

I was curious when you answer or return calls, what do you say and what information do you get out of them and how do you go about it?
  2. punt66

punt66 LawnSite Fanatic

I say hello :)
  3. Kennedy Landscaping

Kennedy Landscaping LawnSite Fanatic

I generally say hello, then collect address and phone number. Then if I'm returning a call I say Hi this is Austin with Kennedy Landscaping...

NIXRAY LawnSite Senior Member

It depends on if its both your personal and your company line.
    If you have a company only line; "Hello this is (your name) with (your company name) how can I help you?"
    or again if its just your company line, greet them with your comapny name.
    you can also use the first option when returning calls, but add in there you are returning a call. As far as what kinda info to give, I belive in NEVER EVER EVER giving a est. over the phone, make a mutal time you can meet with that possible client, but never agree to a price over the phone.....also I would suggest looking into a seperate line, maybe the "Boost unlimited" for $50 a month
  5. Slcareco

thanks nixray thats exactly what I been doing ok cool, just wanted to see how others were doing it.

I just got a call before for a cleanup scheduled the appt then she called back a lil bit after saying her husband found someone ... oh welll
  6. lukemelo216

lukemelo216 LawnSite Bronze Member
    from ...

Ya I have a seperate line for each. My office phone i just answer (company name) this is (name) how can I help you today. Then with my vmail for the company phone it says thanks for calling (company) sorry we cant get to the call.......etc and at the end i say if your in need of immediate asst please call (me) and my cell number.

On my cell if its a number Idk I just answer hello this is (name), but If i know the person just hello then. Just make sure if you have 1 phone your vmail is professional, not a bunch of garbage and other music and stuff. Mine is really simple youve reach (name) with (company) sorry i cant take your call right now...............etc.
  7. Slcareco

yeah im using my cell at the moment with a simple professional VM for now

DLAWNS LawnSite Fanatic

That's exactly how I answer my phones.
  9. DA Quality Lawn & YS

DA Quality Lawn & YS LawnSite Fanatic

Use your business name in your conversation, and make sure to get the potential customer's name, addy, and ph #. If they won't give it and insist on an over the phone estimate, let em go. You need to see what you will potentially be working on.
  10. PestPro

PestPro LawnSite Member

I always answer my office phone or cell phone the same way. company name this is Harold. How may I help you?