1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Answering the Phone

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by sgrprincees, Apr 9, 2006.

1. sgrprincees

sgrprincees LawnSite Member

I assume that almost everybody mowing has a cell phone, correct me if I'm wrong. Do you answer the phone as soon as possible when it rings on Saturday morning, or just ignore it and let them leave a message? I'm just starting, and answering the phone all the time is kinda annoying, but also feels like just part of the job.
  2. Adam3669

Adam3669 LawnSite Senior Member

Always answer it when you receive a call. If the potential customer calls and gets no answer, whats going to stop them from just calling the next guy?
  3. cwlawley

cwlawley LawnSite Senior Member

I answer everyday but Sunday. I can't say that I always hear the calls, but hey, if they are serious about needing landscaping then they will leave a message.
  4. mcwlandscaping

mcwlandscaping LawnSite Gold Member

My cell number is the number i put on my flyers as i don't want my potential or current customers talking to half of my family trying to find me in the house, my cell phone is a direct line to me......I answer everyday as long as its not early in the morning or later at night..past 8pm. Unfortunatly, i can't answer it when im at school!!
  5. 1MajorTom

1MajorTom Senior Moderator

Sure we have cell phones but we dont give those numbers out to our customers. They are given the number to our business line, and if i am home, I will answer it any time that it rings. We don't have people calling real early or real late, so it's not a problem for me.
  6. rfed32

rfed32 LawnSite Senior Member
    from Hatboro

they call my cell phone and as long as i am not in the middle of something i cant take a break from i will pick it up...or if its b4 730 in the mornin or after 11-1130ish at night....if its b4 730 and im up and ready to talk about that type of stuff then ill pick up
  7. Xterminator

Xterminator LawnSite Senior Member

My business line is forwarded to my cell phone. I answer it when I here it ring. If a customer calls me late at night I call them back at 5 am when I get up, and that usually won't happen again.
  8. n2h20

n2h20 LawnSite Senior Member

My business line is forwarded to my cell phone. I answer it when I here it ringme too..[/QUOTE]

mine too

good thinking.
  9. BCF

BCF LawnSite Member

I try and answer it as much as I can. Not after 9 pm though. During the day I usually just leave the phone in the truck, and check it at lunch, otherwise I'd get no work done. Lately I've been letting the return calls go for a few days, but in a month or so I'll be back to calling them that night.
  10. ECS

ECS LawnSite Bronze Member

I always answer unless I am talking to someone, in a public place like a restaurant or eating dinner. I think of it as part of customer service. Very seldom do any om my customers call me at night or on the weekends.