1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Ant control in the North East

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by CoupesCuts, Jun 25, 2008.

1. CoupesCuts

CoupesCuts LawnSite Member

I have a customer that was complaining about ants in her lawn and beds. I did a backpack spray of Tempo SC whever I spotted ants and or ant hills plus a perimeter spray of the house, 5ft out and 1ft up the side. Along with that I did a granular of Sevin. It's one week later. I have had little to no control. I know the Sevin hasn't taken effect due to the lying weathermen, but should I have seen atleast some control? Any thoughts?
  2. bj22

bj22 LawnSite Member
    from ny

Termidor -NY label Works great
  3. turf hokie

turf hokie LawnSite Silver Member

I use crosscheck or talstar ez
  4. bug-guy

bug-guy LawnSite Senior Member

termidor here works great you'll be impressed do not use without cleaning your sprayer real good first, i had one back pack dedicated for it
  5. buzzz427

buzzz427 LawnSite Member

is that for red ants also I have an account that is infested with red ants and every time I mow I get bit they fall off the bushes and crawl down my shirt it sucks.
  6. Ric

Ric LawnSite Fanatic

Sevin is the broadest labeled insecticide. But that doesn't mean it is the best choice on every insect on the label. Talstar is OK but should be watered in very heavy. A back pack sprayer just doesn't put out enough volume to control Ants. Granules must also be watered in heavy the same as your back pack treatment.
  7. CoupesCuts

Looks like Termidor is the stuff to try. The ant problem I have is pretty wide spread outside right now. There are some hills scattered in the yard, but most of the ants are concentrated in a few small areas in the yard. Right now I am only equipped with a back pack and a walk behind granule spreader. Should this Termidor work well through a backpack? I can't do any more volume than that.
  8. humble1

humble1 LawnSite Silver Member
    from MA

one thing is are the ants the customer is seeing outside or inside some types of ants can live in the house so your outside treatment would have little affect
  9. heritage

heritage LawnSite Bronze Member

I have GREAT results with Tempo SC @ my Home. Label Rate for OUTDOOR use, and 6" out and 6" up on foundation.

Volume used was 5 Gal in 160 feet length.

Like Ric said....You need some Volume.

10. CoupesCuts

The ants are only outside for now. Thats why I did a preventative perimeter spray. With the Tempo, when should I see some results? I think I am going to do a repeat application today.