ant problem

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by Greenside Landscaping, Mar 21, 2005.

1. Greenside Landscaping

Greenside Landscaping LawnSite Member

can some one give me some advice on what product to use to remove ants from a customers lawn. they have dogs so i need to get something that wont harm their dogs.

Thanks Ryan

2. Turf Smart

Turf Smart LawnSite Member

How about an ant eater? :D sorry.
    There are many options for surface insect control but the most popular around here is Talstar. It has a good knock-down effect and a pretty long residual. The homeowner should keep the dogs off for 24-48hrs after being watered in. It also works well for mant other insects. Check product registration for your area. Almost any insect control will knock them back. There are some ant baits on the market too which they will take back to the colony and eventually kill the queen.

3. Ric

Ric LawnSite Fanatic

Ryan

I have written a ton of info on ants over the years on this forum and so have others. Do a search or better yet call a licensed professional.

4. qps

qps LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Indy

Amen brother.....Jeez..need a forum for Licensed Applicators....better yet Certified Applicators....before I get flamed you got to admit...its the same questions over....and over....and over......do a search...its gotta be here somewhere....

5. Williams Services

Williams Services LawnSite Senior Member

Humm ... a certified applicator's forum ... now ain't that a grand idea? :D

6. breckslawncare

breckslawncare LawnSite Member

Talsar is a good choice, as well as demand CS, even tempo will give the contact knock down. Another route (if you can locate a mound or mounds) is termador. It's primarilty used for termites but works alot different than repellants. It works much like a bait but you need to apply it to the source, rather than trying to attract to it.
    You can use a deep root feeder or even mound drench with a B&G or a backpack sprayer, but keep in mind that you would be spot treating areas rather than using a broadcast application.
    This method could also be combined with a broadcast of tempo, if a quick knockdown is nessicery and you want to keep the problem from coming right back.

7. Bryn

Bryn LawnSite Member

Hi Breckslawncare,

Can you tell me where you read about useing Termidor as a "mound drench with a B&G".

Thanks

8. Ric

Ric LawnSite Fanatic

Bryn

Breckslawn Might just want to read about Termidor himself and its label. BTW Once again "The Label is the Law"

9. Green Dreams

Green Dreams LawnSite Senior Member
    from Texas

I know an apt mgr that was spending $1100 for someone to throw out maxforce and treat perimiters with termidor. And with a one year guarantee.

10. Ric

Ric LawnSite Fanatic

Green Dreams

That sound real good. But it takes a little more inside treatment to really take care of an apartment building with a multitude of residents. That might work great on a single family home that has a women who is a nut about sanitation. It only takes one kid spilling a sugar drink to create a problem.

Inside pest control has a high margin on chemical cost to service charge. However call backs are an industry wide expense. Modern Chemistry has improved the call back ratio. Termidor is a great product. However by label can only be applied every 6 months. Ant baits are only as good as the conditions they are applied under. Rain, Dew and Irrigation can quickly kill their effectiveness. Temperature ranges also play a factor. The theory of baiting is to make the insect come to the bait. Understanding Life cycles and foraging factor of each variety of insect is important to bait placement.

I would like to think we are paid more for what we know, than for what we do.