ante up

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by dmk395, Mar 27, 2001.

1. dmk395

dmk395 LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Ma

I know some people here have huge businesses, but was curious to see who cuts the most grass in a week? There is one guy in town who cuts about 160 lawns (alot of commercial included in that number) a week with two three man crews.

2. dmk395

from Ma

I will hope for about 50 lawns a week by years end.

3. gway

gway LawnSite Member

last year i had 2 crews out there knocking out around 250+ lawns just mowing alone, but we also had about 400+ fert and 300+ core. looking to improve on this year if i can keep away from all these low ballersssssss that steel our estimates and flyers when we leave them at the doors!!!

4. joshua

joshua LawnSite Bronze Member

dmk, i'm looking at about 70 lawns a week. but some companies in my area have 300-400 a week, but then a again ost of there guys don't know their foot from the yard and their customers come to smaller guys like me even if i charge more. the way i look at it is i would love to cut 125 a week and make the same amount compared to 500 a week and have 4 crews out. also its not about size but quality and account size. you might have 50 lawns and make just as much as me because of the price of your accounts. just trying to help you out.

5. dmk395

from Ma

Joshua,

I see that you are young like me, I am 21 and about to graduate college, but now realize i cant give up my business!

6. gway

gway LawnSite Member

for those who want to stay small you can do it and you will see a good income, but as your cust want more services you will need to grow and hire the propper workers who do good work at a good price. i have a very reputable co here and have been doing this for a while. i do charge them accordingly...some may say otherwise(john) but i run a tight ship here and i can handle the large amount of work i carry. we run 2 crews avg 30 lawns a day 5-6 days a week at about 30-35 for mowing. i want more but with the new influx of kids out here trying to make a buck at $15 per lawn theres no way i can compete.

7. Roger

Roger LawnSite Fanatic

All these numbers are interesting, but they have no context apart from lawn size. Number of lawns mowed per day is vastly different if average size is 5K, or if 30K sq ft.

... suggesting that when statistics are cited, lawn size be included.

With some statistics given here, either the lawns are postage stamp size, or each hour of your time has more than 60 minutes!