Anthing positive?

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by Braxton, Apr 30, 2005.

1. Braxton

Braxton LawnSite Member
    from TN

I'm in my first year here, and off to a slow start. Little capital, working my full-time job, etc.

I've read some negative stuff out there, and I'm feeling a bit discouraged. I have only four accounts, and only one that's really good. I have done quite a bit of landscaping, but underbid out of ignorance a few times, but I'm learning.

So, what can you tell a new guy that's positive? Any success stories from guys like me? Is this a good business to try to build, or have I just made a huge mistake.

Braxton

2. HOOLIE

HOOLIE LawnSite Gold Member

Well it's still early in the season, Braxton, lots of season left. I haven't had a very good response from my advertising this season either, but I've gotten a lot of referrals so far. Very few new accounts thru flyering.

New business seems to come in waves for me, I won't get many calls for a week, then all of a sudden I'll get a bunch of calls on one day. Make sure your existing customers are aware you are looking for new clients, give them some extra business cards to give to neighbors and friends.

And just stick with it, good luck.

3. wormburner

wormburner LawnSite Member

Hang in there I'm sure it will come around.I to am off to a late start because I didnt have all my paper work together early enough.I thought a month would be early enough but not the case it took three weeks just to get my business name registered and now I can apply for the rest of my license to start.I just hope to get a few accounts this year and hit it hard next year early!Dont give up soon you can punch your own time clock.Just remember a bad day working for yourself is better than a good day working for an a-hole.

4. premiereman

premiereman LawnSite Member

Ive always had the experience to mow and do landscape. Ive done it for over 15 yrs.But I didn't get serious till 2 yrs ago. Thats when I said Hey I can make a real business out of this stuff. Before that it was just pocket change for me and Some cash to provide for the kids stuff too.Today I'm pleased to say that I have a thriving business. I'm actually thinking of leaving my job of 16 yrs where I make over $55,000 a yr.I have 3 people working almost 30- 40 hours every week.So don't get down get up and go get whats yours out there.Remember you only go around once ....so go around once real gooooood!

5. mowboy1

mowboy1 LawnSite Member

Hey Braxton,

Keep at it. Your work will pay off if you work smart. It helps to have a written plan - that's a business plan and a marketing plan. I find it helps to keep focus when you have goals and you can measure your success as you go. And writing a business plan will provide stimulus for further creativity. Overall it will increase your determination too.

Read lots! There is lots of help out there.

6. Watkinslawnservice

Watkinslawnservice LawnSite Senior Member

What if I am an a-hole?

7. Watkinslawnservice

Watkinslawnservice LawnSite Senior Member

I am in about the same boat as you so I am definately NO expert on this subject. But, with that said, I would also like to say that a year ago my wife started her own house cleaning biz. She started out just like we are doing, kind of slow. This year the referals started kicking in and now she is turning down work cuz she has more than she can handle. So I guess the moral of the story is: don't get too frustrated too soon. Give it some time, work hard, do good work, and get your name out as much as you can. Good things will happen.

8. kc2006

kc2006 LawnSite Silver Member

keep at it, its good that you have a job already to help pay for advertising and such. I just sent 5000 flyers out this week (i too got started late this year). I didn't think I'd even make it out this year to work due to past injuries and other more important adventures but I seemed ok to work in early april and just now got to advertise and all. If you keep at it you'll slowly grow this year and next year is when the referrals will start kicking and your name will be out there alot from this year. Keep at it.

9. Braxton

Braxton LawnSite Member
    from TN

Thanks. guys. Y'all don't know how much that helps.

My new 48" just started smoking a few days ago, and some of my jobs seem to be taking forever, as I don't have a sulky for my mower (can't afford it yet, the mower pretty much broke me), and things just seemed to be going nowhere.

As it turns out, I put a bit too much oil in the mower on the first change, and with a little of that removed and two new spark plugs to replace the totally fouled ones, it runs like a top again. Add to that the fact that I'm about to get a two month vacation from my other job, and a little encouragement from y'all, and I'm feeling a bit better about it all.

Thanks again. Anyone else with encouraging advice, I'm listening. Just none of the other kind. I have all of that I need, thanks.

Braxton

10. premiereman

premiereman LawnSite Member

Keep us up to date with your growth.