anti-blow out baffel

Discussion in 'eXmark' started by SharpCutLC, Jul 21, 2003.

1. SharpCutLC

SharpCutLC LawnSite Member
    from Ohio

Im intrested in buying a anti-blow out baffel for my lazer 52". Is there a part # that i need and if so where can i purchase one of these. does that baffel work well with bagging and with mulching? Do you need to buy different blades with this part or can you use any blade?
    Can you tell me all the details about this part, thank you
    Mike

2. eXmark

eXmark Manufacturer / Sponsor

Mike,

Thanks for the post.

We do not offer an anti-blow out baffle for the 52" full size Lazer at this time.

I would recommend that you check your deck rake, as well as verify engine rpms and check for any belt slippagel. All of these can contribute to blow out.

Please let us know if we can be of any further assistance.

Thanks

Terry

3. FrankenScagMachines

FrankenScagMachines LawnSite Platinum Member
    from IN

Can you guys post a pic of a blowout baffle on a 60" or something so I can see what they look like to make one for my 52 tthp?
    Thanks,
    Eric

4. eXmark

Franken..........,

The anti-blow out baffle will work on your 52" turf Tracer HP as well as any "TriVantage" mower deck. It will not however work on the 52" "UltraCut" mower deck used on the current Lazer Z.

Thanks

Terry

5. eXmark

FrankenScagMachines,

Hey I found this link of one installed on a unit. http://www.lawnsite.com/showthread.php?threadid=33787&highlight=blow+out+baffle

It may get tricky making one. The cost of a baffle is 30-35 dollars, about. I don't know I guy could make one without a lot of work?

The baffle basically follows the welded in flow-control baffle. The baffle starts on the left side and stops at the center.

Thanks, Fred.

6. FrankenScagMachines

from IN

Thanks Terry, for the price you're right I could hardly make one, the materials would cost close on to $15-20, then add my time...

Fred, thanks for digging that post up. What I don't understand is why it ends halfway over in the deck, seems that is kind of useless and only halfway done? When using the OCDC won't blowout still be a problem on the discharge side of the deck?
    Thanks,
    Eric

7. eXmark

FrankenScagMachines,

To answer your question no and yes.........

The baffle ends at the center because that it where the blowout happens. I will try to explain we may have to do this over the phone.

Here is what you need to keep in mind. The blades turn clockwise, the point of the deck is in the center, the center housing is in front of the outside 2, when the blades turn air and grass goes up and tries to slide of the ends.

Knowing this the air would go to the front lip of the deck build up and move to the peak of the deck and blowout. (Everything is trying to move from the left to the right and turn south at the center housing) So..... the baffle blocks the air from sliding of the end of the blade to the front of the deck. Now at the center the air naturally turns the corner and heads for the discharge opening. Because the peak of the deck is in the center, once you go past this the front lip of the deck points to the discharge opening.

We played with a few combos and this was best for most applications.

Yes you will or should get blowout using that type of blocker. The air has to go somewhere. Most likely it will blowout everywhere on the right side. (Kinda guessing on the one I've never tried one of those blockers)

Here is my number if you want clearer info 402-223-6270.

Thanks, Fred.

8. FrankenScagMachines

from IN

Fred, thanks that made perfectly good sense. I suppose I would've thought of that if I had pondered on it long enough. I put a "lip" on the OCDC to mulch better with (like a Dixie Chopper OCDC) and I generally have it either up to discharge open areas, or down to mulch small areas or with lots of obstacles. I like that the eXmark deck doesn't get packed with wet clippings when the OCDC is down, in fact it mulches very well with that lip. The front of the deck gets covered with clippings all over the deck not just one side. This may be happening even with the OCDC open. I may check into getting a blowout baffle but right now it's not needed with conditions so wet that things aren't dusty. Also I like the TTHP because it has blade spacers, this is nice for running doubles or in leaves or areas that scalp easily.

here's a shout out to Smith Implements in Greensburg, IN if they happen to be reading this, thank you Steve Ginder (sales). Next time don't use the air gun on the blades LOL....

9. Navig8r

Navig8r LawnSite Senior Member

Eric,

Buy the baffle...... It works!..... 10 minutes to install, MAX!
    I called my dealer last year and gave him the part # based on info I got here on LS.... he said "An anti-What?????"
    He'd never heard of it.

I use a home-made mulch plate for leaves to grind em, before I Vac....... creates a windrow at the discharge side...... I actually found that using the plate on one pass and then removing it and discharging in a second pass at a 45 or 90 degree angle to the first would reduce light to moderate leaves to invisible particles..............

I spent a lot of time playing with combos last year for leaves.
    With doubles... the baffle is a must.. and run the deck slightly lower than normal.

Best cleanup system for me, time-wise is to blow the area with my Little Wonder 8HP blower, and with BP blower.... then Mow the area with the Ultra-Vac on to "groom" the lawn and get any stragglers the blowers missed.
    I think mulching with the eXmark Micro-Mulch kit might produce the same results as the Ultra Vac..... Since the U.V. is not an option for the WB.. I would try it!