1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Anti- blow out does not work

Discussion in 'eXmark' started by slplow, Oct 28, 2004.

1. slplow

slplow LawnSite Senior Member

Well after waiting almost 3 weeks I got and paid $58. for my baffle. Installed it and put it to work. I got the same blow out as I did without it. The blow out is on the discharge side of the deck. The baffle should have been made to go across the hole deck not just the trim-side and part of the center chamber. So to get a lawn clean I have to cut the lawns three times to suck up the all the maple/ oak leaves. Will they come out with a better one next year? or should I build my own?
  2. Mow Monster

Mow Monster LawnSite Member

I just got my baffle kit for my 52 lazer hp 3 weeks ago. I agree with you Scott. The blowout is much greater on the discharge side. The baffle is useless. I have a 60 inch lazer and really don't have that much blowout on it at all. Both units have Ulra Vac systems on them. I couldn't understand why the 60 works great but the 52 blows leafs everywhere. I found out when I looked underneth the decks. The 60 inch has its baffle in front much lower than the 52. At least 1 to 2 inches lower. I can not figure out why? I really like the e-mark product but for the prices of these things the bugs should be worked out. Anyone else find this problem a pain???????
  3. Navig8r

Navig8r LawnSite Senior Member

You may be running with the deck too high. Another member here pointed out to me that the best way to keep airflow moving and a bagger from clogging was to "limit" what was going to it at any one time. If the deck is high, lots of material gets under it at one time, some blows out.... I found that by dropping from 3" to 2.75" I got much less blowout.... I do have the baffle.

You may try lowering the cut height, 1 notch at a time, and see if you settle on something that works.....

Also consider different blade combos.. I run gators when I use the Ultra Vac, or 2 gators with an Excalibur high lift on the discharge.
  4. grasssin

grasssin LawnSite Senior Member

I get the same thing with mine, it does help tremendously with the front blowout, but as you said the leaves come out where the side discharge chute comes out. Thereby leaving a nice straight line of leaves after every pass.

After going over the grass three times I wonder why I just dont bag intstead leaving my old argument that it took "too much time to bag" in serious trouble.

I guess they did not want to attach something right there because you would not be able to use the side discharge shoot after mulching.

I feel the same way, after paying an additional $65 on top of the already $7,000, it seems like it should have fixed the problem.
  5. Fareway Lawncare

Fareway Lawncare LawnSite Silver Member
    from Canada

Works Great so far...Using eXcalibur Mulch Blades...Alot less Blow-out. Could drop down another 1/4" though.

Blow-out is a result of blades, baffling & deck height. Lower the front of the deck...use low lift blades...& install the ABB !
  6. slplow

slplow LawnSite Senior Member

I forgot, my mower is a 52'' lazer hp with the ultra-vac. I did try lowering the deck from 3'' 2.5 and got the same blow out as I did with out the kit. My 52'' Lesco wb has a lot less blow out than my hp but even at almost 10mph my Exmark cuts like no other mower.
  7. dishboy

dishboy LawnSite Platinum Member
    from zone 6

Lowering will work up to a point until you get below 2.5 and then blowout increases again.
  8. eXmark

eXmark Manufacturer / Sponsor

Lowering the cutting height will help, using the solid airfoil blades will help as will low lifts. If you running an UltraVac or bagger of some type it's also a good idea to remove the bagging attachment to determine if the blowout still exhists. If the blow out goes away when the bagger is removed then there are several things you should look at.

On an UltraVac the belt tensioning idler pivot tends to get overlooked at lubrication time. When this happens the belt can slip, get hot and become glazed which makes the belt slip more. If by chance you find that the pivot has not been lubricated properly the idler will probably need to be removed and polished with emery cloth and then re-installed. Also the blower can often hold a little debris in the housing which should be removed to ensure you're getting proper airflow. On the 52" and smaller vacs it is important to keep the rear vent screen in the hopper clean as well. When the screen becomes plugged or partially plugged it can restrict air flow preventing the air from flowing from the deck through the vac and out the hopper.

If your using a side bagger it too should be cleaned regularly. By removing the vac and determining if the blow out continues, improves or decreases then you can determine if you have a deck issue or a vac issue.

PS: In some instances it can also be helpful to back the throttle off just enough to hear a change in the tone of the engine. Generally 1/8" to 1/4" should be more than adequate.
  9. Frosty_03

Frosty_03 LawnSite Senior Member

They just took you for 58 dollars you could have made a better one your self for about 1/4 the price. Remember you are the one that is out there in the real world working your mower, This guy terry alwas has an excuse in they way as to make it sound like the operator is at fault. I have a 48" W/B and very raely have any blow-out unless I get into some realy heavy stuff. I have been running exmark product for two years now and found them to be a good product. This is just my 2 cents. Terry is right you do have to keep your catchers clean for maximum performance.
  10. Hizoot

Hizoot LawnSite Member

Frosty, you lambast Terry and then say he's right?
    "This guy Terry" may not be out mowing lawns for a living, but he is working with engineers and testing these products, mapping results, to a lot greater extent than any lco. The research and development of Exmark, I'm sure, has deeper pockets for designing and testing, engineers specializing in this field, computer analysis to help in design, etc. With such a backing , I'd take what he says with respect. He is a great asset to this forum and I really appreciate his help and knowledge . This company policy of aftermarket help, is one of the biggest reasons I chose Exmark.