Anti-gell tricks?

Discussion in 'Heavy Equipment & Pavement' started by treemover, Mar 3, 2014.

1. treemover

treemover LawnSite Senior Member

Well we were 5 yesterday and -3 this morning. Had 5 machines gell up on me. All had double the dose of power service , switched from howes, cause I had gell issues earlier this year. Everything was plugged in and fuel from 3 different sources. Anybody have any good tricks to keep this from happening again?
    Posted via Mobile Device

2. Mark Oomkes

Mark Oomkes LawnSite Fanatic

You sure it's gelled?

When's the last time the filters were changed\water drained from them?

Are your suppliers using a winter blend?

3. zabmasonry

zabmasonry LawnSite Senior Member
    from C. VT

x2 on fuel filters and winter blend

4. TMlawncare

TMlawncare LawnSite Bronze Member

We are having the same problems. Fuel gelled caused the engine to go into limp mode. It was -12 out and was using no additive. Yesterday -2 out with additive and the engine was really sluggish almost like when the traction control cuts in. Just annoying.

5. ducnut

ducnut LawnSite Bronze Member

I've never had a semi-truck gel up on me, if I was in control of the additive. I used Power Service, 1qt per 50gal. I used to run local, where the companies (2 different employers) had their own fuel stations and winter fuel strategies. I gelled-up with both, multiple times. It was always the fuel filter that was gelled. Make a habit of draining the separator, daily. Once gelled, it'll take 2 or 3 filters to get it cleaned out (fill the new filter with Power Service). I always wrapped a beach towel around my fuel filter (duct taped in place) and blocked the left side of the radiator, to try and keep the filter warm (many are heated). It's so important to stay on top of the separator and filter to keep it from happening, as the lines will become plugged, too. Unfortunately, you've got some misery ahead of you, with this.

6. treemover

treemover LawnSite Senior Member

it wasnt bad, new filters, a tarp and space heaters. but back to question, what are people using to keep this from happening? Filters werent that old, it was winterblend fuel and additive was added

7. 4 seasons lawn&land

4 seasons lawn&land LawnSite Gold Member
    from NY

I wonder how those plug in fuel filter heaters work. They are on ebay from 20 to 250 or so.

8. EverythingOutdoors

EverythingOutdoors LawnSite Member

I'm on fuel filter #5 this winter with my 98 Dodge. I found out the gas station was not adding any additive and selling straight #2.

I've used both Howe's and white Power Service. Switched fuel suppliers to get "winterized" and still using white power service.

It was +2 degrees last week, no issue. -2 today and I had no fuel pressure. Still running, but not healthy on the pump. Got home this afternoon and 40 degrees, everything seemed OK.

My summation....it's a crap shoot when temps around zero. Blend it with #1 fuel is the only sure fire way to make it better.

9. Tuttled

Tuttled LawnSite Member

The fuel jelling happens around here as well! But in Canada, the refineries adjust the fuels for the seasons>
    I an suspecting a summer fuel mix from the rinery!

10. hoeman376

hoeman376 LawnSite Senior Member

I put in couple gallons of gas works better then any anti jell
    Posted via Mobile Device