1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Anti-gell tricks?

Discussion in 'Heavy Equipment & Pavement' started by treemover, Mar 3, 2014.

1. Premier Landscaping

Premier Landscaping LawnSite Member
    from ND

Sounds like bad fuel to me. I personally have not had any luck with howes or power service on claims to be equal to 50/50 blend, had them both gel up around that 12 to 15 below mark mixed with straight #2 in it. I usually mix #1 and #2 myself I never run more than a 50/50 blend though my personal truck sits outside and we have had multiple -20 nights this winter unfortunatley and have had no issues. You guys may not have #1 pumps where it usually does not get this cold though.
  2. Mark Oomkes

Mark Oomkes LawnSite Fanatic

Mix with some kerosene, far better than gas.

Try Stanadyne too. It's better than the other brands. According to my mechanic who had 30 years in at Cummins.

I had -18 Friday morning and everything started and ran fine. I did have some problems with my loader yesterday (-11 up to 12*) but the filter had all kinds of crap in it. Quart of Diesel 911 and let it run and it cleared up.
  3. 711SnoPro

711SnoPro LawnSite Member

Like said above try the stanadyne. I've had zero issues this winter.

I do try to pay attention to the weather forecasts as far as temps go and if warranted will fill up with straight #1 or blend it, just depending on how cold it gets. Any equipment that stays out overnight for extended periods gets straight #1 though.
  4. ducnut

ducnut LawnSite Bronze Member

Absolutely! There are already ready too many lubricity issues, with today's more refined diesel fuels. Adding gasoline just further dilutes the oiling properties of diesel fuel. Want to wreck the cylinders, pistons, rings, injectors, and pump? Just add gasoline.
  5. treemover

treemover LawnSite Senior Member

We dont have #1 pumps down here, or at least I have never seen one
  6. SP Landscaping

SP Landscaping LawnSite Member

7. Construct'O

Construct'O LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Sw Iowa

Check with some of your local Co-op's they will come closer to having it then Caseys and so fore.I get mine at own Co-op and it is already blended and they start blending it early Nov. Good luck
  8. zabmasonry

zabmasonry LawnSite Senior Member
    from C. VT

I can't emphasize enough the importance of getting good fuel. I've talked to the owner of the station that I buy 75% of my fuel from, he also has a petroleum distribution business (semis to other stations). He moves a full trailer of diesel a day (7000 gal), and pulls fuel labs from every load. The one time I've had a gelling issue we isolated the issue to a load from another station a couple of fillups prior. Diesel 911 and waiting for it to warm up a tad solved that issue, and a fuel filter later has kept any new issues from developing.