Anti Rust

Discussion in 'Heavy Equipment & Pavement' started by tthomass, Jan 10, 2010.

1. tthomass

tthomass LawnSite Gold Member
    from N. VA

Looking for something to help protect my trucks and equipment from salt when we do snow removals. WD40 would be a rather expensive route to spray down the frame, bed and other surfaces. Options?

Is diesel a possibility? Yes, let it dry before operating.......idk, what can I use besides WD40?

2. duramaxc4500

duramaxc4500 LawnSite Member

i've been hearing fluid film is excellent. been dying to try, closest dealer is a ways out for me.

3. mrsops

mrsops LawnSite Silver Member

WD40 is a waste.. I just bought fluid film cant wait to use it on monday

4. Gravel Rat

Gravel Rat LawnSite Fanatic

Fluid film is the most enviromentally friendly but hydraulic oil works good aswell. You can get Fluid film in gallon jugs and get one of those pesticide sprayers it works at applying it.

Fluid film is fairly common here I use it all the time its not cheap the d*mn stuff went up in price :cry:

My dad uses hydraulic oil because it is cheaper again uses a pesticide sprayer you know the ones you pump up.

Get the thin light viscosity hydraulic oil the 10w stuff will do all you are doing is preventing rust.

I would avoid using diesel fuel the stink will drive you nuts.

5. Junior M

Junior M LawnSite Fanatic

WD40 actually contains water, so thats a negative in my book..

Fluid film is awesome and like GR said, buy it in a gallon can and spray it on. Its real thick and will stay for a while..

I wouldnt use any oil just for the fact thats it sticky and could make a mess of a truck..

6. WillieWonka1850

WillieWonka1850 LawnSite Fanatic

I vouch for Fluid Film also Thumbs Up

7. YellowDogSVC

YellowDogSVC LawnSite Gold Member
    from TX

I tried the sample of fluid film and used it on my hitch ball and for lubricating the slides on my chipper rollers which get a lot of dust and debris. That stuff does hold up very well.

8. 2109 Stang

2109 Stang LawnSite Member

I use hydraulic oil ,I save all my hyd oil when I change it on my machine and from my dump trucks, it works well ,I don't drive on snow but I live in a salty enviroment all year round .

9. DVS Hardscaper

DVS Hardscaper LawnSite Fanatic

Road salt has destroyed the powder coat paint on my truck's dump body. To the point where the body needs removed from the chassis, sandblasted, and re-painted. And the truck has barely been driven on salty roads!

10. Bigred350

Bigred350 LawnSite Senior Member

Fluid film is the best!!!! If there are no dealers in your area call fluid film and become a dealer. All you have to do is buy 2 cases and your in. Thats what I did.