1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

anti-scalp rollers

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by joe stihl, May 12, 2004.

1. joe stihl

joe stihl LawnSite Member

I am buying a ZTR to mow 3-4 acres at my home. I am leaning toward a Scag tiger cub with 48" deck. My only concern is there are no anti-scalp rollers on front-center of deck. They are more toward the outside of the deck. The landscape is not the smoothest.

How important is it to have rollers in center of deck? Is this going to cause a problem with scalping?

My other option is Exmark Lazer CT, but I really don't trust the dealer as much as I do the Scag dealer.
  2. EnvEdge

EnvEdge LawnSite Member

We had issues with these at one point. On the Lazer the antiscalping wheels actually dig up turf if you are turning at the same time as they are trying to work. So we raised them up and just keep an eye out for low areas.

IMO, in order for anti scalping wheels to actually work they need to be mounted like a caster. Similar to the front tires of an exmark, so they can swivel and roll in any direction.

I forget who has a deck like this but I believe there is a manufacturer that makes a mower like the above.

SCAG POWER LawnSite Senior Member

Check out the JohnDeere 727A, it's got them and they work well on my yard . My back yard slopes down to the center then after that it drops more they work fine for me.:cool: