anti-scalp system for Metros?

Discussion in 'eXmark' started by mikeklein, Nov 24, 2002.

1. mikeklein

mikeklein LawnSite Member

I am very happy with my metro 14Kawi,48" deck,but I have had troublw with scalping.I dont think it would be hard to add anti scalp wheels in the key locations,but the general design of the fixed deck would result in the scalping wheels bottoming out and either the front wheels losing ground contact,or the whole mower!Any suggestions would be helpful,Ive made a couple of nice divots in some yards.My next mower will definitely be Exmark,and definitely be floating deck.Maybe that turf tracer with the big air intake system!

2. eXmark

eXmark Manufacturer / Sponsor

Mikeklein,

The best thing to do if you are scalping with a fixed deck is change your mowing patterns, approaches etc. when mowing areas that you've know the mower is going to scalp. Many operators will also "float" the front of the deck in these areas by simply pulling back or pressing down on the handlebars to allow the front of the mower slightly lift from the turf.

Several years ago we offered a 52" fixed deck and pulled it from the line for several reasons. One of them was the same issue you're experiencing. This unit did have a set of center anti-scalp rollers similar to what you would see on a floating deck but they offered a minimal improvement.

All of the parts could be purchased to add a set of center anti-scalp rollers however by the time you purchase everything, have the brackets welded on and balance that against the added performance you might want to reconsider.

Changing your operating habits on those locations your having a problem will yield you the best results with the least investment.

Please let me know if you have any further questions or comments.

Thanks

Terry