1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Anti-Scalp Wheels - How are your's treating you?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by JimQ, Oct 3, 2007.

1. JimQ

JimQ LawnSite Bronze Member

Are your anti-scalp wheels holding up? How about the deck bracket?

eXmark - Is eXmark on to something with the new wheel profile they use? How do they hold up? Do their special bolts hold up?
    eXmark (Medium).JPG

Ferris - Do you like the castering type? I've heard they fold back pretty easily if you hit something.
    Ferris (Medium).JPG

Hustler - Bolts still breaking?
    Hustler (Medium).JPG

Scag - Do these hold up or does the bracket bend?
    Scag (Medium).JPG

Thanks Guys,

eXmark (Medium).JPG

Ferris (Medium).JPG

Hustler (Medium).JPG

Scag (Medium).JPG
  2. TLS

TLS LawnSite Fanatic

I have experience with the Hustler and the older eXmark's.

The Hustler breaks and bends the 1/2" grade 5 bolt very easily. I recently retrofitted eXmark's new ones that you pictured above to it. Due to our extreme drought, I've yet to try them. I'm hoping they're stronger or at least as strong as the older eXmark type. The old eXmark type were bullet proof. Several years and several thousand hours and never a problem.

I bent my first Hustler bolt within 10 hrs!
  3. T Total Lawncare

T Total Lawncare LawnSite Bronze Member
    Male, from The deep south

I like the the type that is mounted from both sides like scag. My outside wheels are bent and are wobbling when they roll. Its due to cutting the bottom of ditch banks catching uneven turf. I keep them on the highest setting to avoid this but it still happens.
  4. TXNSLighting

TXNSLighting LawnSite Fanatic
    from DFW, TX

mine on my toro are great! no problems!
  5. kc2006

kc2006 LawnSite Silver Member

I have the older exmark style and they're doing good. The plastic it self wears out faster I think but the bolts are tough. The new exmark ones were nice, I likes how they coned them so they didn't catch as much if you turned on a hill and hit a flat spot.
  6. TAZ

TAZ LawnSite Senior Member
    from Ohio

I haven't had any issues with either the Scag's or Exmark Casters bending or breaking but the scag's could use more downward adjustabilty. they don't do much for ya when the cut heights are in the 4"+ range

7. Jason Rose

Jason Rose LawnSite Fanatic

My Grasshopper 61" is similar to the Scag design, which I would think is the strongest. My Dixon had the type like the others and the bolt was trashed within a couple weeks.

Honestly I think the whole scalp wheel setup is a little far fetched. That little wheel can't hold up the whole deck on even softish ground, all it does if makes a furrow. On my machine the corner of the deck, by way of it's design, is what will catch things like sidewalks. The other side the blower hangs lower than the deck, and that will plow up some grass if I'm not paying attetion.
  8. lawnspecialties

lawnspecialties LawnSite Silver Member

I replace my Hustler bolts and wheels all the time. Fortunately, the wheels only cost me about $10.
  9. Boonman

Boonman LawnSite Member
    from NY

My Toro Turbo Force wheels are fantastic. I replace about 2 sets a season from wear though. I run them lower than most, I hate scalping.
  10. barnard

barnard LawnSite Senior Member

No problems with my ferris.I like the swiveling wheels, and the support on both sides of the wheel