1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Anti-Scalp Wheels

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Nosmo, Sep 2, 2007.

1. Nosmo

Nosmo LawnSite Bronze Member

Since the first part of July when we had oodles of rain I have had a mowing problem. Every now and then when mowing a long row I have been getting some places which appear to be cutting lower on one side of the deck. Not much lower at times not even no difference at all.

I think I finally tracked the problem down and I am posting this just in case someone else has this problem.

This is on a 54" Cub Tank. New blades, tires inflated as they should be, deck leveled side to side, blade pitch 1/4" on each side.

I attributed it to unlevel deck , or maybe wet grass, and we could get rich if we could sell the crabgrass . We've had a bumper crop of it mixed in with our bermuda.

Well it hit me this morning about one thing I had not checked. I took a pair of calipers and measured the diameter of the anti-scalp wheels. There was at least 1/4" more wear on the front ones over the back ones.

Switched the fronts to the backs and it is cutting like it did when it was new.