Anti Scalp Wheels

Discussion in 'Homeowner Assistance Forum' started by grobbins6, Jun 26, 2008.

1. grobbins6

grobbins6 LawnSite Member

Hello all-

I have searched the forum and have not been able to find what I am looking for; what is the proper way to adjust anti-scalp wheels?

In trying to figure out what kind of mower to get for my yard (see other post) I borrowed my brother-in-law's JD lawn tractor. I had some scalping issues in two or three spots and realized that the anti-scalp wheels were set on the highest setting (bottom of the wheel even with the bottom of the deck's edge). This seemed to defeat the purpose so I would like to recommend a better setting for him.

My guess is to set them so that they lift the deck when it gets to be 1 or 2 inches from the ground but you guys have more experience than I have common sense!

BTW - I have been searching different topics and learning quite a bit...this is an excellent resource for a homeowner and the fact that you take the time to be so helpful is GREATLY appreciated! :clapping:
  2. jkason

jkason LawnSite Senior Member

The anti-scalp wheels are NOT designed to be run on the ground constantly, and should be set from 1/2" to 1" below the level of the deck (depending on the severity of the "bumpiness" of your lawn).

For those with really "bumpy" lawns, no amount of adjustment will help. See story below.

I had a customer who refused to listen to me about the anti-scalp wheels - she destroyed her deck (on an MTD - not worth replacing), and I told her it would be more cost effective to just get a new tractor. she said "no, just fix the wheels". I gave her an estimate of $600.00 to replace the deck, as it was unsafe for use.

She replaced the tractor, and hasn't had a problem with anti-scalp wheels since (she digs up the lawn something fierce, though - and goes through a lot of blades).
    She really needs a landscaper to come in and resurface her whole yard, but she's just way too cheap to spring for that, even though it would add $$ to her house when she went to sell it. I have tried telling her that a one-time expense to fix the yard is preferable to sustained expenditures repairing her tractor.