1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Anti-Scalp Wheels

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by DanielC, Jul 19, 2008.

1. DanielC

DanielC LawnSite Member

What is the norm. on deck anti-scalp wheels, Free spinning or Fixed.I can't seem to get any wisdom from dealers.
  2. 1998tahoe

1998tahoe LawnSite Member

I recently changed my front anti scalp wheels over to Swivel caster style. Love it more now. Seems to mow ALOT more even.......
  3. J&R Landscaping

J&R Landscaping LawnSite Fanatic

On my 2 bobcat mowers I'm guessing there a fixed position roller. The machines cut great, no problems. I've never actually run a mower with swivel rollers except a couple down at EXPO.
  4. DanielC

DanielC LawnSite Member

I have never seen swivels on a rig.I talked to a fellow Scag guy and he said they should spin, not fixed.Thks for input
  5. 1998tahoe

1998tahoe LawnSite Member

The first swivels I saw were on a John Deere grooming mower that we use behind a tractor.
  6. Richard Martin

Richard Martin LawnSite Fanatic

Gravely used to using castering antiscalp rollers. A buddy of mine had them on his 260. They would shoot out from under the deck a long ways when they fell off and he ran them over.

I've had zero problems with the fixed rollers on my Dixie deck. They don't dig into the turf on turns or anything.