1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

anti seize compound

Discussion in 'eXmark' started by greggo, Aug 15, 2004.

1. greggo

greggo LawnSite Member
    from ct

Hi Terry :in one of your other post you metioned not to use antiseize compound on the bolt threads for the blades,and I just got to ask why in more detail.You stated that the bolt would self tighten?If I add the antiseize compound to the threads and torq the bolt to spec I can"t see a problem,its got to be better than a bolt being frozen on the spindle shaft and using a cheater bar to get it off and possibly snapping a bolt (yes ?no?) Were you trying to say that the bolt and blade could torq itself past the recomened specs?

I have always used antiseize compound on spark plugs and lug nuts with out a problem I realize there not spinning at 18,000 plus RPMS but still its better than a frozen lug or especially a plug.

Thanks Greg
  2. eXmark

eXmark Manufacturer / Sponsor

Anti-seize is great stuff if you have something that stays bolted on for long periods of time and is exposed to the elements and foreign particles.

Anti-seize on the blade bolts and the mating surfaces between the blade and the spindle in particular is a bad thing.

When a blade bolt it too tight to loosen chances are your fighting excessive torque or over tightening than you are a seized component due to rust or debris.

When the bolt, blade and spindle mating surfaces are clean and lubricant free they have more friction and are more likely to prevent the blade bolt from self tightening. By adding the anti-seize compound these surfaces have less friction and if you hit something or even if the grass is extremely tall or extremely wet the blades can then cause the bolt to spin and self tighten.

Often when everything is clean and tight you can hit an immoveable object creating an extreme impact and the blade bolt will only slightly self tighten because the friction from all the mating surfaces bind them together preventing further tightening. When this happens often you can remove the blade bolt rather easily however the blade remains stuck to the spindle due the extreme friction and heat cause by a slight rotation of the mating surfaces against each other. A simple tap on the blade and it drops from the spindle.

If you take measures to ensure the bolt doesn't over tighten by making sure it is tight and clean when installed the blade bolt removal issues will take care of themselves.