anti-social LCO's (poll)

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Grass Cake, Jun 6, 2007.

?

How do play this?

1. I always try to make new friends.

68 vote(s)
    74.7%
  2. Avoid all eye contact and conversation.

5 vote(s)
    5.5%
  3. Get and Go.

12 vote(s)
    13.2%
  4. Sling a grasscake on their mower while driving away.

6 vote(s)
    6.6%
  1. Grass Cake

Grass Cake LawnSite Senior Member
    from Zone C

Seems all the local cutters have very little to say when i see them fueling or getting lunch.

WTF? I know it's not my breath/BO because i'm not standing that close.

2. Flipperneck

Flipperneck LawnSite Member

You joined the wrong club if you are looking for a social scene... I could care less to meet and greet anyone who is not an associate, customer, etc...

3. Grass Cake

Grass Cake LawnSite Senior Member
    from Zone C

Big difference between shaking hands/saying hello and being socially engaged.:)

club? that could be the problem...i haven't joined any "club":laugh:

I think i've met you.

4. dKoester

dKoester LawnSite Gold Member

I see those kind of people all the time and those people are the jealous type. Thats right don't look over at our crew but you know you want to.:cool2:

5. KTO Enterprises

KTO Enterprises LawnSite Bronze Member

Why would you want to act like a fool to all the other LCOS in your area. Im friends with most of the solo guys around here, heck most of us have lunch at leas once a week. Acting like a jerk to competition will get a lot of your work stolen.

6. Lynden-Jeff

Lynden-Jeff LawnSite Bronze Member

Always a smile and a wave.

Cheers

7. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

Please understand it gets tougher every year, after 5-8 years the good customers are right few and far between. Maybe 1 out of every 10-20 calls or so turns out, the rest is all a comedy, and no offense but I assume so is the walk-up dude, given the odds are in favor.

Why would someone walk up to me out of the blue?
    They don't know me, we've never met in our whole lives, what is it that attracts them?

Because it's never just Hi and a handshake, that's wishful thinking.
    More like what's next, they all have at least one question, some is downright personal (like 'where do you get most of your business?') or worse yet they want to start trading... I've had some ask me if I had any spare work, you know, just send some free customers on over.

It got to the point, someone comes up and says "HI!!!" all cheerful like wanna shake hands, I just say:
    What do you want?
    They're stunned, they stand there like uhhhnnnn....
    I repeat myself "what is it, cut to the chase, skip the bs, what is it you want?
    But it never works, I don't understand it, maybe you folks don't know this but I know they want something.
    Otherwise, why would someone come up to me?
    Yes, why even say hi, why go through the trouble?
    So no, no, it doesn't work, gotta play the stupid little fiddle farting game, beat around the bush "hi" hello whats your name nice day uh huh blablablabla and bs and eventually finally they spit it out...
    Whatever it is, it always comes out, sooner or later, and they all want something (for free, of course).

Way I see things, I don't ask them how their wife is in bed, thou maybe I should, and then I ought to ask if I can verify that, because that's how personal that crap is, to me.

I guess I could tolerate some thing like "How high are your blades?" but even that is a secret of sorts, really they're as high as I like them, thanks.

We just get like that, maybe if you last more than 5-8 years you see it, too.
    Then again maybe not, maybe you never see it.

If it makes you feel any better, I treat most folks who walk up to me like that, myob.

8. dKoester

dKoester LawnSite Gold Member

Topsites, work on your mulching skills. I went to your website. Is that what your jobs look like after they are finished. I'd take them(pictures) off and replace them with some better quality.

9. DLAWNS

DLAWNS LawnSite Fanatic

Thats ridiculous, just today, I went up to another LCO that happens to live a few blocks down from me. Just to shoot the s***. I had a little extra time so why not. I wasn't looking to get anything for free or find out about his wife. It just works out for the best, now I know him, he knows me and maybe we could help each other out. He is in a bind and needs some trimmer string, or I might need to borrow a wrench that I don't have to fix something. I'm not going to approach every lawn guy I see but if its someone I see regularly, why not. A few weeks back I was cutting, doin my thing and the owner of what I thought was a competitor lawn company asked me for some cards b/c he wasn't takin on any new work. A little mutual respect is not a bad thing.

10. KTO Enterprises

KTO Enterprises LawnSite Bronze Member

:clapping: Well said. Sometimes your competition can be your best advertizement. Not every company is out to get you. I have one of the largest companies in my county send me work, and its not crap work or PITA customers, but good quality lawns. he throws me a bone every now and then because he knows Im not trying to lowball him and steal his work.

i have also done over 10,000 worth of bush hogging for him already this year. All because last year I stopped and introduced myself to him at a gas station.