Anti trailer theft...?

Discussion in 'Trucks and Trailers' started by Turf Commando, Mar 18, 2008.

1. Turf Commando

Turf Commando LawnSite Bronze Member

How do you prevent trailer thieves, from pulling in your driveway hooking it up and driving away with with it...?
    Do you chain it to tree or park truck in front of it a night ..?
    I have a garage but since I detail cars also, putting it in there would not be logical.
    Any advice is welcome...Joe
  2. theguynextdoor

theguynextdoor LawnSite Senior Member

I was wondering the same thing as I am about to buy a trailor. Obviously inside is the best, but if you can't do that then what? Is there a such thing as a lock to go around the hitch or something. I'm interested to see the responses.
  3. markahurley

markahurley LawnSite Senior Member

master lock makes a lock that fits inside the coupler and locks in place. i've found this to be one of the easiest ways to secure the trailer.
  4. Jason Rose

Jason Rose LawnSite Fanatic

As long as the trailer is far too heavy to lift the tounge, then a GOOD tounge lock works ok. I would get one with one of the round "pop machine" style key locks on it, they are virtually unpickable. And also one made of hardend chrome steel, no aluminium or soft painted metal (too easy to cut).

If the trailer is in any way mobile be hand, you need to have a way to secure it TO the ground. I have one of those 3/4" cable locks, that also uses a round style key, hooked through the 3/4" metal loop of an anchor that's screwed three feet in the ground. This isn't a bad idea for ANY trailer. And the cables are a lot better than any chain.

Of course there's no way to 100% secure a trailer, or anything. If they want it bad enough, you are going to loose it. It's just best to slow them down as much as you possibly can... Don't rely on insurance to protect you either, they will NOT. I had a trailer stolen, lock cut, trailer removed from my driveway. Called police, filed report, called insurance, waited FOUR MONTHS for a check. Cost me $1400 to replace a 2.5 year old trailer, got a check for $303.

Moral of the story.. Lock your chit. And then lock it again.
  5. 02DURAMAX

02DURAMAX LawnSite Gold Member

Coupler lock just bought a master lock for mine..
  6. 02DURAMAX

7. Turf Commando

Turf Commando LawnSite Bronze Member

I like that device, where can I locate one at...?
  8. DaughtryLC

DaughtryLC LawnSite Senior Member

A lock only keeps an honest man from stealing!
  9. Lawn-Sharks

Lawn-Sharks LawnSite Senior Member

I Use the same lock you have plus a pin lock. With those two togather i would think it would be impossible to steal..... Also sometime i leave the trailer hooked & Locked to the truck with a security light on the side of the garage where i park my rig
  10. 02DURAMAX

Is this what your talking about?...I bought one too..:)