Anti Vibration Gloves or Tape

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by JDOG, May 16, 2003.

1. JDOG

JDOG LawnSite Member

Has anyone tried Anti Vibration Gloves or wrapped handles with dampening tape of some type. At the end of a long day my hands are numb sometimes.

2. I use Bicycle Gloves. For about $30 you can get the kind with gel in them.

3. Doc Pete

Doc Pete LawnSite Gold Member

What is this from??? Running a mower or trimmer????
    Pete

4. Hawkeye5

Hawkeye5 LawnSite Senior Member

Weight lifting gloves. They are, I guess, about the same as bicycle gloves mentioned by Bluesteel. But I only use them when I'm going to run a trimmer for a long time.

5. TLS

TLS LawnSite Fanatic

Yeah, whay Pete said.......Just what is vibrating THAT bad? I would spend a little money and fix what is vibrating!

Unless its a jack-hammer or a vibratory plate that is causing this.

Fill us in.

6. JDOG

JDOG LawnSite Member

When I use mainly the trimmer and edger all day is when the problem occurs. The problem shows up later that night.

7. yardmonkey

yardmonkey LawnSite Senior Member

I have used anit-vibe gloves AND wrapped mower and weedeater handles with pipe insulation and duct tape. I have gotten lazy about wearing the gloves and have not wrapped the handles on my newest mower, as I seem to have gotten the problem under control. I would recommend getting anti-vibe gloves and always wearing them when mowing or weedeating. I also use a Robin BH2500 4-cycle trimmer, which vibrates less than any other trimmer I have tried. Shortly into my first year, just over 3 years ago, I started to have very serious problems with my hands, which plagued me for a couple of years and set me off on an intense study to solve the problem. I think this has to do with pre-existing deep chronic muscular tension, which must be addressed. Millions of people do this work all day every day with no problems. Others have to quit or lose the use of their hands - OR solve the problem. The most important thing you can do is get this book - Conquering Carpal Tunnel Syndrome and Other Repetitive Strain Injuries by Sharon Butler. Large bookstores have it or can orcer it for $16.

I have tons of info on this on my website here:
    http://www.ionet.net/~tslade/hands.htm
    http://www.ionet.net/~tslade/myhands.htm
    http://www.ionet.net/~tslade/selfheal.htm

You can fix the problem, but it may take some serious attention. You need to take this seriously, but don't bother going to see a doctor - they will have no help except to slice you up, which will make things a lot worse.

Good luck,
    Terry Slade

8. Doc Pete

Doc Pete LawnSite Gold Member

OK.... They make anti-vibration gloves, just for that purpose. Also, take a short break in between. Just a minute or two makes a different. If you don't take it easy, down the road you will have permanant injury. And, learn how to hold the equipment "softer", while still staying in control. DON'T SQUEEZE... BAD!!! My Sports Doctor helped me out with that. And, other brands of equipment vibrate lesss. I went through 5 trimmers until I found one that's really smooth. And, I also "balance" my trimmer head. It does make a big difference.........
    OH....... I do one Cemetery for my full time job (875 stones), and another for contract work (368 stones)... SO...... I know trimming.............
    :D

9. Arnold

Arnold LawnSite Member
    from Wyoming

I must say if your haveing problems run out and buy a pair of gloves by MechanixWear gloves they hall all different types. I worked with a 1 inch impact for 2 months for 10 hours a day and my hands were always hurting but after getting a pair of there impact gloves had no pain. Try your local parts store you will pay for what you get, a pair will cost you 30-40$ but well worth it.

10. Tharrell

Tharrell LawnSite Silver Member

I use Mechanix gloves when I use the walkbehind because of the opc, it causes blisters. You're probably holding on too tight. I used to do that sometimes when I raced moto-cross, a 60 foot triple jump tends to do that to you. It got so bad, I couldn't clutch or brake. I would get arm pump (forearm). When I started doing this, my hands would tingle at night too. I figured it was the same problem, holding on too tight. I was right.