antifreeze in cylinder

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by Shultz, Aug 17, 2002.

1. Shultz

Shultz LawnSite Member

Help!!! It's a 22 kawasaki, liquid cooled, on a scag turf tiger, about 1000 hours on the moter. Left cylinder was full of antifreeze after sitting for about 1 month. Right was fine. Oil is not milky. After pulling plugs and turning over a few times to get antifreeze out, it ran fine with no noticible power loss.
    What causes this? What can I do to fix it?
    Thanks in advance:confused:

2. Head Gasket?

3. E-man

E-man LawnSite Member
    from PA

Sounds like a head gasket.

4. khouse

khouse LawnSite Bronze Member

The water will kind of "steam clean" your cylinder and wash all the upper lube off of it. This can lead to major cylinder repair. Better remove the head and see if it's a bad gasket or cracked head.

5. Shultz

Shultz LawnSite Member

Is the head gasket hard to change? If the head is indeed cracked, will it be noticable? I am good with motors, but also know where my knowledge ends and head to the dealer.

Also, where can I buy a manual for the motor with torque specs for the head bolts?

Thanks

6. khouse

khouse LawnSite Bronze Member

Get a Kawasaki manual before you tear it apart. Follow the instructions in the book for your first time. Once the head is off you may see where the gasket has failed. If you think the head needs to be checked,take it to a cylinder head service company. You can usually find them under cylinder head repair in the Yellow pages. Most shops farm crack repairs out anyway so cut out the middleman and do it yourself. You will also want to do a valve job on that head while it's off. Good luck.