Antifreeze leak on Lazer 27hp Kawi

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by lazer 46, Sep 10, 2002.

1. lazer 46

lazer 46 LawnSite Senior Member

I posted this on the Exmark forum and got a few responses, but I want to know if anybody else has encountered antifreeze leaking on there 27hp kawi liquid cooled. I think I've narrowed it down to the top of each radiator hose. It runs down to the radiator support and spreads out. While it is not a large amount it is annoying as it has done it since new. My dealer pressure tested the radiator and it was ok. But now I'm sure it is the radiator hoses themselves. The clamp seems to loosen up by itself, although streaks of the stuff can be seen when the clamp seems to be tight. Anybody else experience this?

2. bigkat

bigkat LawnSite Member

I have the 27hp on a turf tiger and I have the same problem. I think it's coming from the antifreeze overflow. When you hit a bump it splashes out the top of the overflow

3. TLS

TLS LawnSite Fanatic

BigKat,

Nope, on the Lazers the radiator is mounted horizontally above the engine. While my radiator overflow tank leaks more than it holds, the leak that Lazer46 is talking about is definately related to the radiator hoses, and where they clamp onto the radiator.

I remember about 10 years ago that I had bought a radiator hose that had a plastic wire loop (much like clothes has the price tag affixed with) that went through the rubber hose. It was right at the end of the hose (within 1/2"). Put it on filled it up and wouldn't you know it, thats where it leaked from!! I just wonder if this isnt' similar, or that Exmark got some porous hoses made? Mines been doing the same as Lazer46's since about 6months after I bought it. I put it off as a loose clamp. Now, the clamps are TIGHT and it still weeps. Here is a picture of it....

Like I said, the overflow IS leaking the most, but its the hoses that bother me.

This is my only complaint about my mower. Went through just about a gallon of Dexcool in the past 2 years.

leak.jpg