1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Antifreeze level on 27hp Kawi LC

Discussion in 'eXmark' started by jaybee, Aug 13, 2001.

1. jaybee

jaybee LawnSite Member

After replacing the cap on the overflow tank of my Lazer 27hp Kawi I thought I solved my leaking problem. Now a month later the level of antifreeze in my tank has dropped one half inch. While this is not a great amount, is it normal? I mow very rough terrain and I'm sure splashing is a problem. The area around the cap does show wetness, but not actual drops running out of the tank. Just want to know if this is normal, and if not what is the solution.
  2. Smooth Operator

Smooth Operator LawnSite Member
    from NY

I have the 22hp liquid cooled Kawi and it has always been damp around the cap after use especially on rough terrain. Half an inch per month is about how much it leaks although it seems to level off when the bottle gets down to about a third full. As long as the pick up tube in the recovery bottle is covered when the engine is cold you have enough coolant in the system so just keep an eye on it and see if the leaking stops when it gets down to a certain level.
  3. eXmark

eXmark Manufacturer / Sponsor

Good question, I would bet that it is no big deal. The cooling system may have had a little air in it. The radiator could have burped that air out and suck some coolant in. You could also be seeing heating and cooling expansion and contraction of the coolant. A radiator can cycle the coolant from time to time.

1" in that overflow tank isn't a large amount of liquid. I can see how this makes you concerned about your machine. I would keep an eye on it to see if you continue to loose coolant level. If that happens you need to get it in to your dealer so we can figure out what is going on with your unit.

One other thing comes to mind is if the overflow tank was too full to begin with. The cooling system would force it out the overflow tube. The fill line of your tank is about a third of the way up from the bottom. As long as that tank has fluid in it you should be OK.

The 27KA has been a great engine for us. We haven't had any major problems with that unit. If you would keep us informed of what it turned out to be, good or bad. I hope this helps!!

Thanks, Fred.