1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community on the Franchising Forum.

Dismiss Notice

Antique hanging fixture

Discussion in 'Landscape Lighting' started by starry night, Jul 8, 2012.

1. starry night

starry night LawnSite Silver Member

I just got back from an antique sale outdoors. I couldn't pass up this ornate hanging light made in bronze (I think.) with amber glass. I don't have a place to use it right now but I figure it was a good buy. Of course it is fitted with a medium base socket but I'm sure there must be a way to put in a bi-pin socket and make it for 12v use. Measures 20" tall and 8" square.

How's it look to you guys?

IMG_2828.jpg

2. RLI Electric

RLI Electric LawnSite Senior Member

Try a low voltage A19 lamp. Make it easy on yourself. I just saw a fixture at my cousins house that is made out of Mason jars with lamps in them. I keep telling my kids, if you see something you think is cool, lets see if we can make a light out of it. Maybe I will start doing the craft fair circuits.

3. Lite4

Lite4 LawnSite Gold Member

That baby certainly is vintage. Cool lamp
    Posted via Mobile Device

4. LLC RI

LLC RI LawnSite Member

nightscaping sells socket converters.. you could get one that fits into the medium base socket in that fixture and run a wedge base or a bi pin or a single contact lamp... from it..

if you stay in line voltage, try an aquarium lamp.. they are long and will give a nice light

George

5. starry night

starry night LawnSite Silver Member

Thanks Bob and George. I overlooked the 12v bulbs in A19 base and I didn't know about the socket converter from Nightscaping. When I find a place for this fixture, I will make the choice of which to use.