1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Antique Mowers

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by bstsrvcs, Mar 30, 2011.

1. bstsrvcs

bstsrvcs LawnSite Member

This week, I purchased a small lot of equipment including a 1961 Genoa staggered discharge pusher with a 3 HP Briggs wind-up. I suppose this is the first time that I've purchased a piece of equipment simply because of its age.

There is so little reference material out there on this machine, I can't find a photo of one to match the repaint. The engine fires right up, even though it is of the "unsafe" wind up variety, it runs very solid.

I am wondering, do any of the operators here collect antique mowers?
  2. GMLC

GMLC LawnSite Platinum Member

3. knox gsl

knox gsl LawnSite Fanatic

When you say wind up, are you refering to the pull rope starting and not a spring return?
  4. 1993lx172

1993lx172 LawnSite Bronze Member

Yes he is.
  5. knox gsl

knox gsl LawnSite Fanatic

I remember seeing pictures of those in repair books during shop class many years ago (and they were old then). Seems they would be a PITA to keep up with the rope till you turned it off.
  6. 4 seasons lawn&land

4 seasons lawn&land LawnSite Gold Member
    from NY

I saw a Toro at the Hemmings shop in VT. What a contraption. Thing was big and heavy! I think from it was around 20's-30's.
  7. 1993lx172

1993lx172 LawnSite Bronze Member

I've got a mower from the mid '90s that when you take the spring recoil off there is the pulley thing for wind-up starting, never tried it though. My 1966 push mower in my sig line doesn't have one for some reason, and as far as I can tell it never had one. I've had the recoils off some newer mowers and more of them than you think have them.
  8. bstsrvcs

bstsrvcs LawnSite Member

It does not have a rope. I will take a before shot tomorrow. It's my understanding this particular Briggs is highly sought after by go cart guys because it is unusual.

I believe the machine is a 1961. I wouldn't use this for anything commercial. It has surface rust, but the steel on the deck is good and thick, so a wire brush should get it pretty cleaned up. The original paint job was gold metallic flake. I believe I'll try to match the original paint as best as I can, but I just might go with flames.
  9. Mr. Force® Billy Goat Industries

Mr. Force® Billy Goat Industries LawnSite Senior Member

Get photos please. I always love looking at the old stuff.