antiseize compound

Discussion in 'Hustler Turf Equip (Archived)' started by greggo, Oct 11, 2004.

1. greggo

greggo LawnSite Member
    from ct

PJ what is the factories opinion about using antiseize compound on the blade bolts?I was told that they can over torq.But I was also told that there is a procedure to overcome this.What do you guys recomend.

Thanks Greg

2. mowerconsultant

mowerconsultant LawnSite Fanatic
    Male, from Syracuse, NY

Per your owners manual....
    "Do not re-use spindle bolts which have stripped, worn or
    undercut threads. Torque bolts on spindles with blade
    saddles to 65-75 foot-pounds when reinstalling blades.
    Torque bolts on spindles without blade saddles to 118 foot pounds
    when reinstalling blades."

We do not call for anti seize compound to be used on the blade bolt's, but it is not going to hurt anything to use it.
    I would be more concerned with making sure the threads are clean and free of any burr's.

Pj

3. greggo

greggo LawnSite Member
    from ct

PJ: Thanks for the reply.
    Before I put the compound on I cleaned the bolts good on a bench grinder with a wire wheel on it.There was a decent amount of rust and crud on the threads as this was a 2003 demo unit with 1.5 hrs on it.I have to say I was a little surprised at the rust on the bolts for the time on the machine.I think it got used,never cleaned then put away at the back of the dealers storage area.
    While I'm at it.At 5 hrs I changed the oil and filter and the oil was pretty black.I was cutting some thick stuff,but going slow and at 1/4 to 1/2 cuts, the (25hp kawi 52/super mini)(great machine) never bogged down just kept on purring.My question is ,should the oil have been that black with only 5 hrs on it?I'm starting to wonder if it really had more than 1.5 hrs.on it when I bought it.

Thanks Greg

4. mowerconsultant

Male, from Syracuse, NY

What did it smell like? did it smell burnt? I would think for 1.5 hours that the oil would not be black.
    Also remember, Hustler hours meters are only running when the blades are on, thus any hours on the meter are actual cutting hours, any hours of demo driving, in and out of the shop driving and warm up and cool down time are not on the meter.

Pj

5. greggo

greggo LawnSite Member
    from ct

PJ:
    I think you misunderstood .The machine had 1.5 hrs on it when I bought it.At 5 hrs I changed the oil and it was black(I did not check the oil when I bought the machine because the dealer said that he had preped it before hand).It did not have any burnt smell to it,but I was surprised to see it that black.At 10 hrs I changed it again,and again it was black.I thought the reason that it might be black the second time was possibly because you can never get all of the oil out of the crankcase(and some of the black oil from the first oil change)mixed with the new oil.

Is it possible that some one disconnected the hour meter and the hours could be off?If you pull out the lead to the meter will the machine still run?

Thanks Greg

6. mowerconsultant

Male, from Syracuse, NY

I understood what you were saying.. too bad my fingers didnt communicate with my brain when I typed my response...lol...lol...
    When changing the oil, you will never get all of it out of the crankcase, thus you will have a darker or black oil.
    I do not believe the unit would of had the meter disconnected.
    Although, the unit will run with out it hooked up.

Pj