Ants and other

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by Downeast, May 14, 2005.

1. Downeast

Downeast LawnSite Bronze Member

Hi Guy's.What is a good product to spray on my lawn to get rid of ants.This is for my own use on my yard.

Also what would be good to put on my globe thistles?I have a leaf on one where all the green is gone but the skeleton remains.
  2. Downeast

OK I did a search and found many threads that matched up to the key word ants.After reading a few thread I found a smidgen of info mixed in with about three pages of arguments.

I am now glad that I can tell customers that need ants gone.What ever you do don't call a professional because they will call you a dumb a$$,then argue with you ,Then charge you up the yin yang. ;)

So I went back to plan A which was to go down to the local true value and get some stuff to start blasting these ants with.

They had an arsenal of stuff.So just have to sit back and see if it works.If it don't ,just try some other stuff.Would have gone to lesco but they was closed and didn't feel like waiting till montag.

I can usually flip the guy a few bucks and get the restricted stuff. payup ;) JK.
  3. dwc

dwc LawnSite Senior Member

I suppose you were sure to ask the Helpful hardware man about the 100% moneyback guarantee when his stuff doesn't work right? That's what homeowners expect out of us pro's so I am sure you homeowners expect this from the hardware store too????
    That explains what makes us pro's call homeowners names. :)
  4. Downeast

LOL: I am not quite the home owner you are making me out to be.I just don't do pesticides aps and thought some fellow lawnsite members might help as I would and ,have done here and on other forums,on a variety of issues.

The stuff wasn't that expensive so if it doesn't work not the end of the world and will just stop by lesco and get a better product if needed.

I was having fun just attacking the little buggers.Kinda like Bill Murray in Caddy Shack going after the gophers,lol.

Ill keep ya posted as to if the cheesy true value stuff works or not. :)
  5. dwc

dwc LawnSite Senior Member

ok, thought u were a homeowner. :) I still do not understand why people think the stuff they buy in the store may work, but don't ask for their money back when it doesnt do a thing. Now if they call ME, its boy you better not let me see 1 single bug for the next 6 months when youre done or I want my money back! I just don't see how these company's stay in business.
  6. SodKing

SodKing LawnSite Bronze Member

The trick with ants is that, whatever product you use, you have to do followup treatments to kill the ants that were in the egg stage when you made your first application. Carbaryl will work for ants as will a permethrin (talstar) or bifenthrin (onyx) based product.
  7. GregoryR

GregoryR LawnSite Member

SodKing, not to be picky but you should know that permetrin is not the ai in talstar, bifenthrin is. Permethrin is in Dragnet as well as some others.
  8. SodKing

SodKing LawnSite Bronze Member

Yeah you got me there... I was going from memory and misquoted.
  9. Aleman

Aleman LawnSite Member

I guess it also matters what type of ants you want to kill....
  10. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

wait a minute! You are in the Cape Cod area? What kind of ants are we talking about? What are they doing? How much damage are they doing? Is it beyond threshhold levels for damage? If they are not creating total havoc and destroying the lawn, why do anything at all? Ants are good. It is ants that eat up the Chinch bug larva, among other things. They do NOT eat plant material. You need to ask why you're controlling this. Now, we hear alot about ant control in the southern states, but that is a completely different thing. That is like us taking out a bees nest in the whole lawn.