1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Ants, Ants, Everywhere...

Discussion in 'Organic Lawn Care' started by srm077, Sep 13, 2008.

1. srm077

srm077 LawnSite Member

I have ants all over my newly converted organic yard. What can I use that will not hurt the beneficials that I am trying so hard to build?
  2. Smallaxe

Smallaxe LawnSite Fanatic

Ants are cheaper than aerators. :)

If you don't want them there put some Borax on their hills. Not sure what Borax is but it is generally considered harmless and natural.
  3. treegal1

treegal1 LawnSite Gold Member

borax is boric acid, it works good, powdered molasses works also, my favorite is DE thats where its at for real!!!!
  4. Daner

Daner LawnSite Bronze Member

The ants have been plentyfull up here In Canada this year...You can Mix some of that Borax with some sugar ...The Idea Is to get them to take It back to there nest.
    Look for there trails and place It there ...mix a little more sugar than borax
  5. FIREPLUG1111

FIREPLUG1111 LawnSite Member

Have you tried gasoline, the higher the octane the better it kills ants
  6. treegal1

just remind your self about that 18 foot well, and that new pond! or use some ethanol and burn the little suckers.LOLOL
  7. ICT Bill

ICT Bill LawnSite Platinum Member

We have a new product that will be out in the spring Essential 1, made from essential oil, pepper and garlic, it will move ants to another area, even fire ants

It won't kill the hive but they will move, it will even keep armadillos from digging in beds

The biggest smell from it is cedar, not over powering
  8. treegal1

Bill, what kind of garlic??????LOLOL

MOW PRO LAWN SERVICE LawnSite Bronze Member

Try bisen........
  10. 44DCNF

44DCNF LawnSite Bronze Member

Your ants could be part of your beneficials. Ant eat grubs, mole crickets, and other pests. I wouldn't be too quick to try and knock them out. They may be doing you some good while there.