Ants in My Pants- Literally !

Discussion in 'Landscape Lighting' started by David Gretzmier, Jun 13, 2007.

1. David Gretzmier

David Gretzmier LawnSite Gold Member

Did a rebulb/reset the other day, and I was pulling out a pathlighter and preparing to take off the hat with my cordless drill when I felt something, and POW, I'm getting bit like crazy ! apparently I disturbed an ant farm, and they are everywhere- arms, legs, etc.

I do a slap dance, got a little loud, and of course said a few choice words. after I calmed down and the ants were defeated, I of course looked around to see who saw me, luckily not any one I could tell.

I showed the homeowner the ants in case he saw me, reccomended a pest guy, and found ants at the next two fixtures as well, but was on alert so no slap dance.

I did all the other fixtures and did the "anty" ones last, still a few ants, but doable.

any body else run into painful surprises? I'm sure some folks out there have stories.

2. BPC

BPC LawnSite Member

There was a new guy working with me a few years ago. While we were installing a system he got nailed by fire ants. He started freaking out and complaining about the bites. He apparently had never been bitten by them before. In my head I just keep thinking he is just being a sissy about it. I have been bitten hundreds of times by them and it isn't that bad. Turns out he was allergic to them and had to be taken to the hospital because he went into shock. That was his last day working with us.

3. klkanders

klkanders LawnSite Senior Member
    from Midwest

Dang......would have liked seeing that on video.......can't top that one ....I killed a bunch of huge spiders that were looking at me the wrong way and flicked a tic off my arm.......

So I guess you will have a can of raid with you on service calls now?

4. Eden Lights

Eden Lights LawnSite Senior Member

While I have not seen any of them in Tennessee yet, I know several southern guys that always throw a little fire ant something? around every fixture and the trans.

5. NightScenes

NightScenes LawnSite Silver Member

I don't have a can of this stuff with me at this moment, I'm not at the office. If you go to your electrical supply house and tell them that you have ants, they will sell you some spray that is designed for use in electrical components. It is a spray powder and works very well. We spray it into our transformers and some fixtures when we do our installs.

6. Chris J

Chris J LawnSite Silver Member

Fire ants are a real prob down here in FL. we keep a bag of ant bait on the truck and treat around all ground mounts during service visits. This is one of the reasons I don't install wells. These are like ant motels, and they will usually build their mounds right over the top of the lamp. Can be a real pain to service when this happens....

7. Pro-Scapes

Pro-Scapes LawnSite Platinum Member

fire ants are the worst here. Especially right after it rains. Been bitten up several times. If I gotta go into an area thats infested bad I put on calf high rubber boots and spray em down good with permithrin.

8. TforTexas

TforTexas LawnSite Senior Member

Lesco carries a product called Delta Dust that can be used as a deterrent in your fixtures that works real well.

9. Mike M

Mike M LawnSite Bronze Member
    from usa

I learned quickly down south to open all irrigation boxes like I'm turning over rocks in the woods, and I look carefully before sticking in my hand.

The other night I did a lighting demo, and the client wanted me to light up 3 cypress trees at a pond. I asked about aligators and not being able to see what was in the high grass, and they said, yeah, we have an aligator in this lagoon, but don't worry about it. I said thanks for letting me lead the way.

Some landscaper two years ago was spraying near a lagoon and got bit in the buttocks and taken to a hospital.

10. Mike M

Mike M LawnSite Bronze Member
    from usa

This is the community where I was doing the demo at the pond at night. This photo made national AP last year. Also, last year in the same community, some lady died of fire ant bites.

20060424_Alligator_tif-large.jpg