Ants Wont Die!!

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by hobbsd, Jul 14, 2008.

1. hobbsd

hobbsd LawnSite Senior Member
    from west wi

We only do a few lawn pest applications, but i've had terrible results with ants.

I have 3 customers that are the worst. I've been using cypermethrin

customer 1 I used a spray tank at 2 gallons per1000 s.f. at the labled rate

customer 2 I used back pack sprayer at 4 times the labled rate (1/4 gallon per M)

customer 3 I used hand- pump sprayer at 3 times the labeled rate..... 1/8 gal. per M

So far each customer has ants in there yard still..... how????

How do I kill them!

2. gregory

gregory LawnSite Bronze Member

i would try something else...maybe talstar....

3. Green Up

Green Up LawnSite Member

Call Lesco and ask about Crosscheck or Talstar. They offer a large host of free information that I think will be useful. If you hear of anything that work well, leae post it.

4. greendoctor

greendoctor LawnSite Fanatic

Cypermethrin has a very poor residual when exposed to sunlight and air. It is nomally a termiticide applied under homes, where the treated surface is sealed off. Bifenthrin is much more stable. When spraying for ants or other insect pests, the high speed, low volume applications that are passable for broadleaf weeds do not work the same. If you can apply the label rate of bifenthrin at 3-5 gallons per M, I would not expect a control failure.

5. hobbsd

hobbsd LawnSite Senior Member
    from west wi

Thanks,

Dan

6. Frank Fescue

Frank Fescue LawnSite Senior Member

ground hornets. introduce them into the lawn and they'll destroy a neighboring ant colony overnight. and then just kill the ground hornets, they die pretty easily (talstar)

7. teeca

teeca LawnSite Bronze Member

i second the lower rate of insecicide and larger amount of water, you need to get the product into the ground where the ants live. also try treating where they forage, ie; if you have large trees, or shrubs, put a granular product like 'deltagard G' around the base of the trees, this wont kill them [ants] right away, but they will introduce it into the nest and it will take them out. i've even gone as far as using my deeproot tree feeder to apply it into the soil. needed to do that because i switch to a 3/8" hose and was unable to get the volume of water that i wanted.

8. Ric

Ric LawnSite Fanatic

hobbsd

I will also second the good Doctor's 5 gallon per thousand application rate at label rate. I use Bifen XTS which isn't to different than regular Bifenthrin when it comes to control.

One thing you must also understand is how many different Ant species there are. Each has a little different life style. Pyramid And Pavement Ants can be hard to control in my area. I see them more on weak turf than on thick fine turf. The reason is they both like to build mounds in sunny areas for the heat of the sun. Both seem to be very resistant to insecticides. A good drenching of their mounds doesn't always control them. But the point here is knowing WHAT KIND OF ANTS ARE THEY???

The Texas Two Step is an other way to go. Bait the Ants and get the insecticide into the food chain which takes 4 to 6 weeks to gain control. Then come back several days later and Spray a good repellent insecticide to chase the ants out of sight until the baits kick in.

9. tamadrummer

tamadrummer LawnSite Bronze Member

This is a question for the big guns: (i.e. Ric/Greendoctor) and if it is helpful than great.

Would using advion and fipronil be effective on ants other than fire ants? There is a study that of course I cannot find again but it talks about using both products for fast knock down and long lasting control of fire ants but will these products also target "non-target" ants and other pests such as pyramid ants or pharaoh ants (foundation treatment) and many of the other ant species that are not "fire ants?"

If I can find the study I will cite it later in another post.

10. tamadrummer

tamadrummer LawnSite Bronze Member

http://aggie-horticulture.tamu.edu/extension/newsletters/hortupdate/julaug,5/Advion.html

This is the link to the study that recommends the use of the 2 products for better control than just using one or the other.