Any 1 man crews out there?

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by printer88, Aug 18, 2012.

1. wegomow

wegomow LawnSite Senior Member

My first year and I have been a one man show unless the wife helps, then it's a one man one woman show. We've grown a business before in photography, still have it but things have slowed down. We remember when we hired our first employee, then at the peak we had 6 employees and we worked harder and worried more. Our income did increase but so did the headaches. I vow to work this business smarter. Working harder so employees can get paid is not my business model this time around. I work smarter, keep the good accounts and cut the lousy, whiney ones loose and never take on a job I don't want to do. I love working for myself and by myself I'm the best boss / employee
    I ever had!

2. billpiper

billpiper LawnSite Member

I'm solo except when my college age son is broke. Most of the time he can't get himself out of bed.

3. Darryl G

Darryl G LawnSite Fanatic

Sorry to say, I think there's something wrong with your son. My college age son is up and about by 3pm, sometimes a little earlier. :laugh:

4. Look's Great

Look's Great LawnSite Member

I get some help from my wife ( she works 3 - 12 days at a local Hospital ) when needed, so does paperwork and goes with me on days i could use a hand . I have 2 ztr mowers, she is on one i'm on the other or I'm trimming and blowing while she mowing. seems to work out pretty good.

5. Squidbill

Squidbill LawnSite Member
    from Florida

I love what I do.
    I do all residential lawns my self.
    Trees and commercial I get help.
    That works as fallow.
    Five days I work by my self and 1 day with help from a friend.
    Sunday is church

6. cmo

cmo LawnSite Member

Bump I would like to hear any new input!
    Posted via Mobile Device

7. 35DollarLawns

35DollarLawns LawnSite Senior Member

Roundup is a solo guys best friend. He always does his part, leaving you that extra time to trim something odd, pick up items etc.
    Posted via Mobile Device

8. Squidbill

Squidbill LawnSite Member
    from Florida

The best thing is to have lawns you can do your self.
    Workers comp exempt and a lic.
    Not being greedy and stick with work you can do on your own.
    I have had 1 or two guys helping and they are usually a reliability.
    The last thing you will want is having to much lawns and no help.
    I dropped 10 accounts just so I don't have to hire anyone.
    Ask for employee stories.
    I have worked with the flu and got hit by lightning
    No such thing as a easy meal.
    Oh and I spend good money on equipment.
    Trust me ever since I work alone is the most relaxing times.
    Posted via Mobile Device

9. platinumservice

platinumservice LawnSite Member

When i started it was me and my friend great worker and all but people go off to college and i didnt wanna be stuck half way through the season mowing on my own. So im gonna thin out the lawns i dont like and hire someone full time to handle a couple grounds maintenance accounts i landed this year and all relax mowing some lawns and when i get some side work all have my part time help come in. Then again im not sure how mowing 70 lawns is gonna be relaxing.

10. 360lawncare

360lawncare LawnSite Senior Member

Solo here been that way for two years. I have from time to time had a friend or two help with the big cleanups or big pine needle or mulch jobs but for the most part I try to do everything myself. My son will be getting at the age he can start to help so that may be a option down the road.