any 1 rolled a ztr?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by rdh, Jul 5, 2001.

1. rdh

rdh LawnSite Senior Member

i think we all should work safe.but i would like to know if any one has rolled or heard of some one rolling a ztr? i have heard of people wrecking in to trees and fences after sliding down hills.

2. Administrator

Administrator Administrator

Dropped one off a concrete ditch :blob3:

3. JLC

JLC LawnSite Senior Member
    from IA

Si senior,

I had my Scag for a week when my trailer ramps gave as I was backing off. Let's just say I was lucky that I lived through it. It stood straight up on the backend and I was able to fall off and roll just before it landed on its top, on top of me. Was upside-down resting on the seat and two front caster swivels. If I wouldn't have made it off, my guess would be that it would have broken my neck or decapitaded me. Went later that day and bought a new trailer with steel ramp gates. Also I never back off the trailer anymore. I back on and drive off. If something were to let go I'd rather have the nose down than up.

4. KirbysLawn

KirbysLawn Millenium Member

I didn't, but being a paramedic I responded to a call about 5 years ago in which a ZTR flipped on a steep hill and rolled over on the guy. Struck him in the foot and amputated most of his foot. This is why I use my Scamper on steep hills.

5. TJLC

TJLC LawnSite Bronze Member

I personally own and use only w/b's. I give all the credit in the world to anyone who takes a ztr on ANY hill. I guess I'm just chicken. All you guys out there with ztrs, please be careful. I don't like hearing about anyone getting hurt.

6. awm

awm LawnSite Gold Member

gives me a chance to point out that ztr is excellent on hills
    IF YOU HAVE EXPERIENCE. AND IF YOU PUT WTS ON THE FRONT.
    i think they ought to come with wts as a safty feature.
    you just dont want that thing flipping on top of you.
    we ve all heard the tragedies that happen to farmers.
    having said that,i can take my z almost anywhere i did my walk behind. again i stress,get some time in before you try hills much.
    in fact if you dont feel its safe dont do it.sorry for the long post ,dont want to get anybody hurt here.

7. HOMER

HOMER LawnSite Gold Member

I roll em off the trailer and roll around the grassy areas then roll em back on the trailer and then the truck starts to roll and the trailer starts to roll along with the truck then we stop rolling and we roll the ztrs off and .........................

No, never rolled one. Stood the Scag straight up when I had the ramp too steep. Deck got hung and I forced the handles a littttttttttllllllle too much. Dang near killed me from the sheer fear. Came down on the siderail of the trailer, freaked out, hit the handles again, straight up once again, dang near died that time too. Came back down and finally landed on the deck of the trailer. All was well....................except there was a little brown stain on my seat:D

Moral of my story..............if the mower your using is prone to do wheelies............make sure you wear a Depends undergarment.

Of course everybody around got a big kick out of that event.

Way too much drama for me.:blob3:

8. Lawnshark

Lawnshark LawnSite Member

I have never rolled a mower, but we just got an account where the guy rolled his MTD mower down the hill. As we were mowing this account I saw the mower and it looked like it had been hit by a train! It is a wonder he is still alive. He is fine and he loves the job that we do.

9. SMB

SMB LawnSite Senior Member

Never rolled anything, but after having our ZTR for about 1 year, I can do some pretty steep banks with it. It's so great to not have to push-mow them banks!

10. southside

southside LawnSite Senior Member

I own a Walker and I can't see any way of rolloing it. With the atv
    tyres it sticks like s#!t to a blanket on steep areas.