any 21-26" commercial mowers with a Briggs still out there?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by huh, Oct 7, 2006.

1. huh

huh LawnSite Senior Member
    from Lubbock

I will spare the long story and just say "I am BIASED towards Briggs" for several reasons I would be glad to further explain if anyone cares (besides the fact that they are am American company and most are made in the USA still as far as I know)

anyway I can't seam to find a 21-26" commercial mower with a Briggs or Kohler as a second choice......saw one with Tecumseh.....but I am more of a Briggs/Kohler guy at this point though Tecumseh has put food on my plate as well

any direction in finding a quality commercial 21-26" with a Briggs would be appreciated

2. Envy Lawn Service

Envy Lawn Service LawnSite Fanatic

Hummm... I don't think there is one anymore.
    Sucks because I'm a Briggs fan too.

I think it's because Briggs had a bad run there making engines for $100 mowers.
    Rather most would admit it, many started with these bad engines or had one at home.
    So Briggs doesn't sell too well among the commercial guys.
    So everything "commercial" in Honda or Kawasaki powered.

You MIGHT be able to find a Snapper or something with a Briggs or Robin.

3. huh

from Lubbock

thanks for the reply

Ariens, Husky, and Deere are what I have seen with a Briggs...I am sure all would want to claim "commercial" but Im not sure they are

the Deere might be a choice, BUT the deere dealer around here would not piss on you to put out a fire if you did not have $50,000 on you, BUT being Deere country if you were ever able to get them to get you one and prep it for you and you wore it out fast you can always go back in and scream at them because around here DEERE IS KING AND SHOULD LAST FOREVER...and Im sure after a while they might get you another just to get rid of you....but who really needs all of that

I saw one commercial grade with a Tecumseh and now I can't find it again...oh well never was really a big Tecumseh guy (never knocked them just never got into them)

as dumb as many will think this sounds I may consider just going with Toro homeowner grade to start out then delegate them to "back up" if things go well

with a steel deck, flat ground in my area with few rocks, not a lot of rain and starting small I see more of an issue with plastic wheels VS steel and cheap "extras" breaking off of a home owner special than just flat wearing it into the ground and killing it

sigh....the price you pay for blind loyalty

4. davidcalhoun

davidcalhoun LawnSite Bronze Member

If you like the Briggs 6.75 HP OHV Intec, Sarlo has a few high wheel mowers that are commercial rated. They have them in 21" to 26" size you mentioned.

5. davidcalhoun

davidcalhoun LawnSite Bronze Member

Here is another commercial mower that uses the Briggs engine.

It is the Bob-Cat 21". It is defenitly an old school commercial look with its cast aluminum/magnesium deck. It uses the Briggs 6.5 HP Intec Pro OHV.

6. huh

from Lubbock

thank you very much David

that Sarlo looks like something I need to check into more! :)

I am the kind that still runs my mouth like "hey nice car should have bought an American one"

Now is when I have to pay for that by putting my money on American :usflag:

7. Envy Lawn Service

Correction on my part....

Believe it or not, Dixie Chopper has some coming out for 2007.
    22" highwheel and 24" highwheel long wheelbase type.
    Both with Briggs engines.

8. Envy Lawn Service

9. Roger

Roger LawnSite Fanatic

The Lawnboys that were fitted with 2 cycle engines (e.g. DuraForce) are now outfitted with a B & S engine. These are commercial rated mowers, and the design has been around for years and years. The engine change was done in Jan 2005, when EPA said "NO" to the 2 cycle engines.

http://www.lawnboy.com/productinfo/mowers/commercial/2005 LB Commercial spec sheet.pdf

I have two of the 2 cycle variety, but have been continually frustrated with the DuraForce engine in the 3.5 years of ownership. The mower is now getting pretty tired (2,500 hrs, estimated), but does a very good job for me. I don't hear much feedback on the B & S solution for LawnBoy. I am seriously considering one of these for next season, to get rid of the DuraForce headache.

10. saw man

saw man LawnSite Bronze Member
    from utah

Snapper has a 26" with a Briggs.